GoPro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the battery bacpac charger and have a question not answered in the manual. I have only had the Hero 2 for a few hours.

1) When I have the bacpac battery attached to the camera, and the USB connector connected to the bacpac, is is supposed to also charge the main battery?

I ask this because it doesn't and I'm not sure if that's normal or if it's supposed to also charge the main battery.

2) On the chance that it's not supposed to, then that must mean I have to connect the USB cable to each port seperately to charge both batteries, right?

3) I started with the camera, without the bacpac. The bacpac battery was already charged and known to be full charge. I ran the battery down in my camera, to the point where the camera wouldn't turn on. THEN I connected the bacpac. I expected the camera to then be able to turn on. But it never came on. I thought that was the point of the bacpac to provide power from the 2nd battery when the 1st ran down. But it seems this siwtching only works if I start with two full batteries and the bacpac already connecte.

Does this sound normal or correct? Can you plug in a bacpac, after the main battery is already depleted and should it then power from the 2nd battery or must I start with the bacpac already on the camera vs. plugging it in after the main battery is already dead?

4) Let me ask #3 a slightly different way. If my main battery is already depleated (but still good. i.e. can be charged), if I then connect a battery bacpac, shouldn't the camera then be powered from the 2nd battery?

5) If I start with 2 full batteries, the first battery is used first, THEN the 2nd battery is used. Is there any indication on the camera, which battery is being used at any point in time? Because of the problem in 3 and 4, I want to have a way to test that the switching is taking place. I guess I could just power it and time how long it takes for the camera to shut off but that's a rather long test.

6) When I power off the camera (without the bacpac) and plug in the USB connector, the large Red light on the camera comes on. Is that supposed to work like that?

7) Should I be charging with the camera off or on, or does it matter?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a new user w/o the

I'm a new user w/o the battery bacpac, so take this with a grain of salt. I have been looking at purchasing the bacpac battery so I did a little research. From the FAQ's or the Manual, I was able to tell that the Hero2 will run off the bacpac battery first and then switch to the main battery when the bacpac battery is depleted.

Also from your experieces, it appears that the bacpac battery will not charge the main battery.

However, your conclusion that you need to run two USB charge cords is probably not right. I would assume that you could run just a usb charge cord to the bacpac battery and that should keep the camera running forever.

BTW - I'm interested in shooting long timelapses, so I am interested in powering the Hero2 externally as well. It seems that for the same price as a skeleton case (which would be necessary to plug in external power) I could get a BacPac battery with the skelton case for that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The skeleton back that comes

The skeleton back that comes with the BacPac will not allow it to be plugged in. It is similar to the other skeleton back in that it just allows air and sound through! You'd still want the skeleton HOUSING if you wish to plug the camera in while recording in the housing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a reply about the

I got a reply about the charging of each battery and was told as of yet...there isn't a firmware update to allow for charging of the camera's internal battery while charging the bac pac battery when connected to the camera. The tech also told me it's cool to charge both batteries simultaneously through two separate USB cables. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.