GoPro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The end of September, 2018, I purchased a GoPro Hero5 Sessions. Any time I went to use it, the battery was dead. I played the game of blame it on this, turn off that, none of which were the problem. I'd purchased the memory card suggested by Amazon. Not on the list, I was told that was the problem. So I purchased a suggested one on the GoPro website. Still, any time I went to use it, it was dead. It would hold a charge for a couple days. So I tried yet another, different card off the list. Same thing, any time I went to use it, it was dead. I eventually learned if I took the memory card out, it would hold a charge, at least to some degree, for maybe two weeks. At this point I'm over a year into owning it.
I made a routine of checking it every few weeks, always finding it dead, then charging it.

Life gets in the way,... work, injuries happen, then later covid... all of which keep me from participating in the activity I bought the camera for. A couple weeks ago I checked it as I have been, and found it dead like always. I attempted to charge it and it does nothing. Hooked up to USB it will power on, cycle and I guess shut off. So now I own a camera THAT I'VE NEVER ACTUALLY USED, that is now totally useless. (So I guess not much has changed has it?) :(

I'm guessing the battery is shot. Is there anyone who services them? Is there such a thing?

(wait, I remembered when I first got it, playing with syncing it to my phone, I did use it to see if the brake lights on my car were working. It turned out to be an expensive test.)

·
Administrator
2,935 Posts
I'm afraid is a sealed unit (to make it waterproof etc) so its not something that can be easily done. I'm not aware of anyone who services them either - maybe give GoPro a shot and see what they suggest (won't be cheap though!).

At this point, I would see if I could find another battery online (eBay?) and have a go at trying to replace it myself - although wouldn't consider it to be waterproof afterwards.....

·
Administrator
9,930 Posts
Agree: Here is my Opinion

Hero Session $100.00 New. Hero session battery replacement, if found a shop, they'll charge you every bit of $50.00 or more, and like @ifty said will it be waterproof. or simply get a battery extender for hte hero 4 session,comes with a waterproof case for over 50.00. it is best to opt for a new one , or invest in a Hero 5 session for the matter of fact. Do not toss it out, I make it a project. I find a way to wire up a battery .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That fact that it's waterproof isn't much of a useful feature all things considered. I have a yard full of rocks that are waterproof and take just as good video. lmao

·
Administrator
9,930 Posts
Well I rather dunk a Hero Session then a Hero 8. if the session is no longer usefull to you send it to me for FREE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts