GoPro Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all!

I checked but couldn't see similiar topic. We all know now that longer shooting gets split into 4GB (around 8 minutes) videos and everyone is ususally annoyed by this (including me) But now I actually need the opposite. Is there an actual way to format the SD card to split the videos even in shorter segments?

EDIT: Asking for Hero 7 Black & Hero 10 Black if that matters

Thank you!

·
Administrator
8,494 Posts
Gopro Models today are 4Gb, the older ones did that. so yes it was possible If you now want a larger, filesize use goprolabs

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im afraid not.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?
Editing shorter portions of long recorded video on my phone so would be faster & convenient if the portions were 1-2GB for example, not 4GB. So just checking if it's even possible as I couldn't find another info online :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Gopro Models today are 4Gb, the older ones did that. so yes it was possible If you now want a larger, filesize use goprolabs
Call me dumb but I don't really understand your answer. I want smaller than 4GB, not larger. Currently watching more infro about GoProLabs but I don't see any benefit for my purpose. I'm just asking if it's possible to make the portions 1-2GB straight fron the SD card, not 4GB, that's it. :)

EDIT: Can I actually set with GoProLabs to cut the files on 3-4 minutes each without skipping frames or it can but will skip a second or two? Still watching some reviews but it's unclear so far.

·
Administrator
8,494 Posts
Older hero does 2gb file size . plane and simple

·
Administrator
8,494 Posts
Well no one foreces anyone to shoot in resolution and sizes, right?

·
Administrator
2,730 Posts
Editing shorter portions of long recorded video on my phone so would be faster & convenient if the portions were 1-2GB for example, not 4GB. So just checking if it's even possible as I couldn't find another info online :)
I don't think this is possible Im afraid - there is nowhere to set file size in the camera whatsoever, and would probably take some lower level coding to achieve - even then I'd be more concerned about stability and possible file corruption......

·
Administrator
2,730 Posts
Older hero does 2gb file size . plane and simple
They did??
Older GoPro's used FAT32, which had the 4GB file size limitation. I didn't think they captured any smaller file size then that?
Newer GoPro's use exFAT, and although they can handle larger file sizes (hence why the GoProLabs firmware is able to do it) the default camera firmware is still set to 4GB....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Am I getting you right:
You want a video in e.g. Split 2GB small snippets instead of the 4GB files?
4GB are standard - even an SD formatted in FAT32 will have files with approx. 3.9GB files.
You can only achieve smaller files imho if you record shorter scenes - there is a possibility for this in the settings of the Hero 8/9/10, but that is apparently not what you want?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Am I getting you right:
You want a video in e.g. Split 2GB small snippets instead of the 4GB files?
4GB are standard - even an SD formatted in FAT32 will have files with approx. 3.9GB files.
You can only achieve smaller files imho if you record shorter scenes - there is a possibility for this in the settings of the Hero 8/9/10, but that is apparently not what you want?
Hey there^^ That's correct, yes to both of your questions. Shorter scenes are not an option. The idea is as explained above. Press start, shoot unbothered for an hour/when battery dies and then just having the files not 3-4 files of 4GB but respectively 7-8-9 of 2GB . Obviously there are not such options so I was just wandering if similar case exists. Thank you :))

1 - 13 of 13 Posts