GoPro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we know, you can purchase a GoPro camera cheaper from GoPro.com when purchasing a 1 year subscription.
This is all a marketing ploy to show investors how many subscriptions are being sold, and also to get consumers to try the subscription services in the hope they will like them enough to renew the following year/s.

If you are like me, you do not care much for the subscription and only get it because the camera is cheaper!
Ive read many stories of people forgetting to cancel their subscription, and hence GoPro automatically charge them for the second year.

Hence, you need to go into your GoPro account online and cancel the subscription before it renews.
Previously I used to set a reminder on my phone to cancel the subscription a month before renewal.

This year I noticed I could use PayPal to purchase the GoPro and subscription - this makes things much easier.
Upon purchase a subscription agreement is set up with PayPal.
So, as soon as you have purchased and the payment has gone through for both the camera and subscription, you can head across to PayPal straight away.

Login
Go into Settings
Select 'Payments'
Then select 'Manage Automatic Payments'

You will see GoPro listed here as an active automatic payment.

Simply Cancel it.

Thats it - you can now ignore the subscription altogether. No need to remember to cancel the renewal!

After a year, GoPro will attempt to renew and PayPal will not release the funds, since you have cancelled the instruction to do so.
GoPro will then contact you to say they couldn't take payment - you simply ignore the email and the subscription will lapse. Or if you feel you wanted to continue you can just pay again at that point.

Either way, this just prevents GoPro from taking money without confirming with you beforehand, and you haven't got to bother remembering when your subscription is next due ;)

·
Registered
644 Posts
one thing i was wondering is if this hinders your chance to get another gopro with subscription year later ?
Is this like a one time offer or they dont care and you can keep on buying and canceling their subscription?

·
Registered
5 Posts
For my 2nd gopro I used a 2nd email account just to get the offer.
But I just bought the hero11 black, and it let me use the emauil address / cancelled account from my 1st purchase.

So in short, I don't know how it works, but worst case is you set up an new email account then cancel that with you subscription.

·
Administrator
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one thing i was wondering is if this hinders your chance to get another gopro with subscription year later ?
Is this like a one time offer or they dont care and you can keep on buying and canceling their subscription?
The subscription is for 1 year.
Even if your subscription comes to an end, you can then buy a new camera at a reduced rate with a new subscription for another year.
If you keep your existing subscription you just get the camera at the reduced price.

The first option works out BETTER.

For example.
I just purchased a Hero 11 with the subscription, as noted above. This works out as:
£299.99 for the Hero 11
£49.99 for the subscription
£349.98 total.

If I go to the site now and log in, I can purchase another Hero 11 at a reduced subscriber discount for £349.98.

Therefore, it is actually better to stop the subscription and purchase a new subscription with a new camera a year later. Otherwise, using the above example, I would pay the reduced subscriber price of £349.98 as well as the £49.99 subscription renewal! So thats just under £400 total.
Whereas if I cancel the subscription and purchase anew, it would be £349.98 total!

Hence my advice in the original post still stands, and I believe is the best way forward.

Remember, GoPro like to report back the number of NEW subscribers to their investors. It works out better for them this way, as every year they can go back to investors and tell them they have had XX number of new subscribers, even though most of them could be people who have stopped a previous subscription to buy a new one for the new camera discount!
Sneaky!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts