GoPro Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm about a week into my ownership of my first GoPro, a Hero 8 Black.

I used it last week to record a sporting event for about two hours, broken up into ~45minute recording chunks with a few minutes not-recording in between, started and stopped by physically pushing the start/stop record button on top of the camera and then walking far away to let it record.

The camera chopped the videos into ~3.7GB files, as expected, on the uSD card, and for the first ~110 minutes (something like 15 files), everything is normal.

But, something like 10 minutes before the end of the event, the .mp4 recording just stops and cuts off without warning.

I don't believe the camera was commanded to stop recording, neither by app nor by voice nor by pushbutton. Some people on various forums are saying that all GoPros can be prone to overheating after extended use, particularly if it's inside a casing (it was) or using image stabilization (it was) or using high framerates (it was).

My question is, is there a log file somewhere on the uSD card or otherwise accessible that would indicate "DANGER - your GoPro believes it is getting too hot, shutting down now at time XX:YY:ZZ!" or something similar, that would prove that that was the cause of the unintentional premature recording stoppage?

I understand that the camera has a front-facing display that it uses to indicate that it's hot, and I think somebody said that it beeps -- but the camera was 50+ meters away at the time, I have no way to know whether or not the display/beeper did/didn't indicate anything wrong at the time, all I know is I'm unexpectedly short 10 minutes of video.

Assuming there is not currently a log of that kind on the uSD card, has anybody ever gotten such a "feature request" pushed into the firmware before? Is there a "developer mode" that lets me attach to nonvolatile storage inside the camera separate from the removable uSD card? Anything like that?

Thanks,

bbliss

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yeah, so I guess it looks like I'm going to have to explore other brands and models of action cameras that overheat less often and have more detailed diagnostics available if and when they do overheat in their manufacturer-branded protective cases at the manufacturer-suggested frame rates. I can't emphasize enough how disappointed I am in GoPro, after eight(?) generations of action camera redesigns they still don't have basic features like a log file. It's bizarre and kind of sad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts