GoPro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new member here and very new to the action camera family. I have just purchased a Gopro hero & black for a kayaking trip this weekend, I do alot of video with my iPhone and third part lenses, ND filters etc. to lower my frame rate and such so i don't have blown out footage.
my question is going from kayak and then into water, how do i approach that without footage being blown out or changing white balance ruining video? I am assuming its not a good thing to take the ND filter into the water?
Thanks for any help

·
Administrator
9,621 Posts
Hero 7
has a lens protector that can be removed, and the ND takes its place. or ar you using something else that causes space between the ND and original lens?

I did post in Bold the Hero 7 and when came back it was gone. while the other thread mentioned the camera , in this one it did not. go-figure

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
has a lens protector that can be removed, and the ND takes its place. or ar you using something else that cuases space between the ND and original lens?
Ahhh, that makes sense. When I bought the camera I also bought a ND filter but it is one that just snaps over the protective case , guess I should have researched a little more on that.
so the original comes off and and it can be replaced with a while ND filter protective cover? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No just the camera that came in the box, but I bought a separate ND filter that kinda snaps on the lens cover.

·
Administrator
9,621 Posts
thank you. so you bought an aftermarket snap on that water goes between. Look for one that like said replaces the lens protector.

Polarpro makes one. but its all you, I do not use filters

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, I’m not necessarily wanting to use one if I don’t have to. I use filters on my iPhone rig set ups so I can keep my shutter, FPS and Iso low without the shifts going from bright day to shadows ad blowing out the footage not sure how that translates with a GoPro going from bright to shadows to in the water. What do you guys recommend as far as settings without having to use a filter?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I do notice that same problem. My GoPro footage looks bad going from in water to out of water, not really sure on what filter would be best for that...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We’ll be kayaking the Colorado so it will be outside , definitely very bright conditions and more than likely in and out of water?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think what fish said about the filters from polar pro that replace the protective cover with a NF filter sounds like it might be more waterproof to go in and out of water and able to keep shutter speed etc. where it needs to be. Just looked them up and theee a lil pricey but everything from polar pro usually is. Out of my budget on this trip maybe next one.🥺

·
Registered
75 Posts
They are a tad pricey...

Are you asking about what resolution would be best? (Like 4K and60 FPS?)👈 (That’s just an example)

·
Administrator
9,621 Posts
With many videos on the youtube site, you can seek out one that fits the water sport needs. see what they use.

4K30.60F Liner/wide I also own a hero 7 & 8 EV-0.5, ISO min 100, MAx 200 on bright days 1600 on all shots. Sharpness med. when night falls its a different story, a polarized filter will cut glare and I wonder if these will rotate to do so, they don't

I have used Polarpro on my Hero 4 back then today I do not.

hope that helpsed some

·
Administrator
9,621 Posts
just type in gopro hero 7 and kyacking

·
Administrator
9,621 Posts
not a problem get out there safely and enjoy.

FISH

1 - 20 of 20 Posts