GoPro Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some advice from people who have been using action cams for a while. I could quite easily just get a hero 6 and i'm sure it would be great but i want more out of an action cam. My style of shooting is using an a6300 generally when i'm out about with a 16-50mm lens on it as its got OSS and is almost a pancake lens. I love shooting in 120p to give me the option to slow in post and random adventures in random locations call for shooting in log profiles to prevent my highlights from blowing out too much. I have bought an underwater case for this camera but never really use it as its big and bulky. Id love something that is easy to put in my bag or even pocket but has the ability to optically zoom. I like 4k options but shoot more in 1080, 100p to slow in post. I could step down to 60p i guess. My question is from anyone who has been through this same kind of tangent, what is the best all rounder for video, i need stabilised quality 1080p or better footage with the ability to zoom up to approx 100mm(35mm equiv) in water hazard areas, not really much underwater stuff, just a tough camera that doesn't fogg up and can get wet. Low light is important too but i know i can't have it all! Ive considered a few but it seems like the Tg-5 or Nikon aw-1 are the runners up to what i want. The video samples ive seen on both aren't really that inspiring. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, you aren't going to get the all around change in FOV that a true zoom lens will give you with any of the Gopro line, I can tell you that!

·
Administrator
9,371 Posts
Hero 6 black no longer has FOV Medium it is now Linear and PRE-Zoom of the sensor so we can argue is it opt-dig-sensor. Sensor. can you zoom during NO. you said twice zoom so it is an Action camera yougot that right not a DSLR Big difference.

if you get one get the care or plus pkg, any camera today from gopro in the water needs added protection any product bought today or years back gets covered. by a protection plan.

I get a Hero 5 Session and you can have it on your DSLR and shoot everything a Hero 4 Silver did. good luck

·
Administrator
2,846 Posts
If you are after stabilisation and low light performance, the Hero 6 is by far the best to go for - not just because its the newest, but because these are the two areas that had the most improvement over its predecessor.
Bear in mind the GoPro is good for capturing wider angle shots. I wouldn't use the digital zoom the Hero 6 provides - it'll eat into quality. You are better off shooting in a higher resolution and then zooming in post.
Note you can enable protune and shoot in a raw format for later colour grading etc in post too.

However, from what you say above Im not sure a small action camera is what you are after. Maybe a compact camera with a waterproof case - bulkier I know, but will probably give you better results with regards to the zoom capabilities etc?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wish go pro had optical zoom!, i know i can mod them but that makes them non waterproof so whats the point ey

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are after stabilisation and low light performance, the Hero 6 is by far the best to go for - not just because its the newest, but because these are the two areas that had the most improvement over its predecessor.
Bear in mind the GoPro is good for capturing wider angle shots. I wouldn't use the digital zoom the Hero 6 provides - it'll eat into quality. You are better off shooting in a higher resolution and then zooming in post.
Note you can enable protune and shoot in a raw format for later colour grading etc in post too.

However, from what you say above Im not sure a small action camera is what you are after. Maybe a compact camera with a waterproof case - bulkier I know, but will probably give you better results with regards to the zoom capabilities etc?
yeah i bought the sea frog case for the a6300, its bloody huge and doesn't make me want to take it when i go for an adventure, so instead i just take my a6300 and run the risk of it getting wet! I know about shooting in 4k and zooming in post but i will never get close to the kind of zoom i want by doing this. I don't know why there isn't a new pocket camera that is waterproof, optical stabilised, shoots in 4k, clean 1080 120p...and while i'm there, have a flat or log profile. Am i asking too much? Add OSS and optical zoom to a sony RX0 and that would be a killer camera! The TG5 is so close to what i want but the footage and stabilisation just doesn't look inspiring

1 - 6 of 6 Posts