GoPro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some birthday money sitting here and I hate not having a GoPro anymore (I got mine wet). I could buy a 960 now, or I could save up some money and get the 1080 that I had before. I used to only use 720 30fps MAX but I just got a new beast of a computer that can now handle the 1080 resolution, and the full Adobe CS3. I'd hate to spend so much and be unhappy, knowing that if I spent another 90 dollars or so, I could be happy. I'd also hate to get the 1080 and spend more money than I needed to. I would use 1080 some, but I would also use the 720 at 60fps a lot too. Is it worth it just to spend more and buy the 1080?

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is really a personal

It is really a personal choice. I have a 960 and I am more than happy with it, since I am no professonal photographer and I work better with less bells and jangles on a camera. However, I can see times when the upgrade could come in handy, especially with add ons that are available on that model which are not on the 960. It is not worth it to me for the upgrade at this point, but someone else may have other needs and find it well worth the investment.

Personally, I love my 960 model and have even thought of purchasing a second one. It is just not worth the extra cash outlay for me to upgrade, so if I did get a second GoPro, it would still be the basic 960 model. I also have a 2011 Tachyon HD and an old flip camera. Flip has stopped manufacturing their camera and sold out their company. I never liked learning the tricks to my flip, only to find the company kept changing the program with updates and such. Seems I'd just get used to the quirks of the flip when they changed the program with upgrades that only added more bells and jangles which I did not want. I love the ease of use, but it had limited uses for me. My Tachyon camera has been pretty much a waste of money. Too many troubles to whine about, but I'd not recommend purchase of one, nor use of one. I was very unhappy with the service of the company and the actual camera. There is not likely any action cam on the market that has worse sound. Lots and lots of transfer noise, due to the case materials of the Tachyon. I made a ton of modifications to that camera, just to get it to perform basic functions. I love my GoPro. If I could just see the little icons on the screen better, I'd probably even love it all the more.

Good luck on your choice. The upgrade is really there if you need it, so you have to decide if the extra $100 bucks means functions you may need or benefit from in the future or if you can just be content with the basic 960 and not so many bells and jangles features and limited ability to add features or attachments.

·
Registered
6 Posts

:bigsmile: i have a 960 , a 1080 and the hero2 and to be honest they all have there own purpose . i race motox and my wife like taking photos so she uses the hero 2 for photos as the photo every 0.5 second means she can get the photo she wants . i use the 1080 for filming helmet footage and i lend the 960 out to freinds . the 960 is a great hassle free camera never needing updates and no extras to be bought for it so is straight forward and easy . if i didnt have a gopro at all then i would be very content on just owning the 960 but must also admit the hero2 is great and very addictive i just want gadgets for it all the time ! hope this helps . marcus.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Can someone clarify to me what features are missing in this model from the more expensive GoPros?

I want to buy a go pro that I can use as a car dashcam and also to keep on me when I go travelling on hikes and biking. My priorities really are weight, camera resolution, and durability ie. is it waterproof?

Will the 960 fit my needs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.