GoPro Forums banner

4K Bit Rate | High vs Standard > 1080

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Fish 
#1 ·
My final render size is 1080 but I want to record @ 4K for better source quality, editing flexibility (zooming, etc). My laptop is not great so performance is a concern. I understand Standard takes up much less space, so I'm wondering since my end result is 1080....which setting would look better at 1080 final rendering? Thx.

A) Source video recorded at 1080 with High Bit rate.

B) Source video recorded at 4K with Standard Bit rate.

#2 ·
So after doing some research, 4k Standard and 1080 High both use the same bit rate of 60. Both settings create the same file size and look pretty much identical when rendered at 1080. So the logical conclusion seems to be to shoot at 4k standard all the time to give more flexibility in post editing. :)

#4 ·
when the world catches up: shoot the highest res,, turn down all your preview on editor, and do the shot in 1080, if thevideo is shown, and the audio is clear, you Won.

4gb no matter what, of the file size, not about the storage, about the power of the machine we use. I have an apple good luck!, a lenovo so much better. and the same year purchased.

Reactions: dmunsie
#6 ·
Here are some recommendations for best export settings, my editor - Magix Pro - suggests 64 and that’s what I am using.

Ciao Rob

#7 ·
Hi Everyone. I just bought my Gopro Hero 9 and I do not understand much about video editing, so I´ve been having some issues. I want to get the best of my Gopro (be able to shoot the highest res. 4 or 5k, for example). I want to use video editing only as a hobby to be able to upload to youtube and instagram.

Issue: free video editors softwares for pc don´t play 4 or 5k to edit. So far, I tried Shotcut and VSDC. Adobe Premiere and Davinci Resolve are too expensive to buy only for hobby.

User @Jatekman mentioned Magix on this post. I will test the Movie Studio 2023 trial. If it works, it is not expensive to buy. Maybe can be an option.

I´d like some tips in which resolution I should shoot and I should export when rendering (so the file does not get to big to upload). Also, if possible, video editing softwares for PC recommendations to be able to shoot at 4 or 5k.

My PC: Asus X555UB, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz, 12GB Memory Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 940M, SSD, Windows 10.

Thanks

#8 ·
Hi Everyone. I just bought my Gopro Hero 9 and I do not understand much about video editing, so I´ve been having some issues. I want to get the best of my Gopro (be able to shoot the highest res. 4 or 5k, for example). I want to use video editing only as a hobby to be able to upload to youtube and instagram.

Issue: free video editors softwares for pc don´t play 4 or 5k to edit. So far, I tried Shotcut and VSDC. Adobe Premiere and Davinci Resolve are too expensive to buy only for hobby.

User @Jatekman mentioned Magix on this post. I will test the Movie Studio 2023 trial. If it works, it is not expensive to buy. Maybe can be an option.

I´d like some tips in which resolution I should shoot and I should export when rendering (so the file does not get to big to upload). Also, if possible, video editing softwares for PC recommendations to be able to shoot at 4 or 5k.

My PC: Asus X555UB, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz, 12GB Memory Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 940M, SSD, Windows 10.

Thanks
I tried to add my Gopro Videos to the timeline of Magix Movie Studio 2023 and got the following message: Unfortunately, the function 'HEVC-Codec' is not available due to licensing conditions. Help!!!!!!

#9 ·
@eduardohmsantos Devinchi Resolve 18 is "free" so is VIdeoproc vlogger, and a lot easier then Resolve.

Magix 2023 will edit 4K no problem fast but 5.3K best have a more powerful machine, thought my new machine was powerful but its not it lags some.

again videoproc vlogger free and can edit

#11 ·
I tried Davinci Resolve 18 Free Version, but it didn´t play the Gopro videos. I installed Videoproc vlogger as you recommended and it worked fine. Resolutions 1080p, 2.7k and 4k played well. Got lagged playing 5k, but it is fine to use the others resolutions to start. Finally, I can play with my new toy. This is a new world for me. I don´t want just to press the bottom and take the shot. I want a lot more. When I tried Davinci, I watched the first video tutorial from them (1h 10min) and I really enjoyed to play with the editing software. It was fun. Thank you soooooooo much for you help @Fish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.