Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

quite new here as I just discovered it.

I got a question about the 3M mount. I placed a mount on my helmet last year for the Gopro and I leaved it on after the ski holiday.

Now, 1 year later, the mount is still placed on my helmet, but my question is, is the glue still strong enough to hold it for another week of ski action, or would that be too risky?

Because I have no idea about the strength of the glue.

Thanks in advance and kind regards.

Dequal

·
Registered
5 Posts
From what I understand, the

From what I understand, the tape is 3M VHB. From my experience with this stuff in the past you can consider it permanent if the surface had been reasonably clean. If it's been on there this long you should have a hard time removing it.

But, as always: tether! It's still an adhesive, not a mechanical fastening. All can fail. Use a backup.

PS: VHB stands for Very High Bond. Tough stuff and you'll probably not find a stronger adhesive.

·
Registered
80 Posts
24 hours after being properly

24 hours after being properly placed on a clean surface, the bond is basically permanent. I put one on my motorcycle helmet a couple month ago and it's not going to go anywhere. If you ever need to remove one though you'll definitely need a knife!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thanks for the info!

Okay, thanks for the info! Hope it will last. :) And if not, I hope I don't loose it somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you want to remove one of

If you want to remove one of the glue mounts, don't use a knife. Get a piece of fishing line and work it back and forth between the helmet and the sticky pad on the mount. It will "cut" through the sticky pad and not scratch the helmet (or any other surface the pad is attached to). Once the pad has separated from the helmet, there will be some glue-ey residue left on the helmet. Rubbing alcohol on a cloth should remove it...if it is really stuck you can soften it up by heating it with a hair dryer.

Protect your fingers from getting cut by the fishing line!

The same 3M tape/pads are used to attach some motorcycle accessories, like Tank Pads. Trying to cut them off with a knife or "blade" will scratch the paint. The fishing line trick is used by a lot of motorcycle riders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.