Mass Storage Options? - GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 06-14-2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Mass Storage Options?

I have planned a 5-week, 6500 mile motorcycle trip this summer and I will be shooting as much of it as I can with my Hero2. As space is limited on the motorcycle, I don't want to bring a laptop. Are there any mass storage options other than buying multiple 32G SD cards? Can the contents of a SD card be transferred to an external hard drive without a computer? Can the Hero2 be connected to a smart phone with a wifi connection in some way that would allow content to be uploaded to the cloud? Any suggestions appreciated! Peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-18-2013, 03:39 AM

Try one of these "portable photo backup" devices.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Portable%20Photo%20Storage
post #3 of 13 Old 08-22-2013, 05:21 PM

I used to have a portable battery powered hard drive for photo backup in the field. I'd MUCH rather have a pocket full of SD cards! Go to an Office Supply store and get a fine line paint pen. Number all of your cards so you can keep track of used vs empty.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

the product does not support Library feature where you have a hd and camera only, like some cam's, wished it did, why the camera is so compact.

if no other option is available, maybe a netbook and HD drive still compact, if asked?

10 32gb cards may add up to a used Netbook, and Hd already in hand. I hate to lose a sdhc card with my memory on it. And when you are at a wifi spot, upload, go to sleep its all completed.

a Slow site is joining and leaving lets make this a better site by staying around and participating.Vsit my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[B]& Youtube channel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

helpful in ways you never know. forgive my working hands I make mistakes...
post #5 of 13 Old 08-30-2013, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrykr View Post
I used to have a portable battery powered hard drive for photo backup in the field. I'd MUCH rather have a pocket full of SD cards! Go to an Office Supply store and get a fine line paint pen. Number all of your cards so you can keep track of used vs empty.
agreed. it's easier to carry the SD cards in all honesty. And those backup HDs aren't cheap either.

post #6 of 13 Old 09-19-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomedic View Post
Can the Hero2 be connected to a smart phone with a wifi connection in some way that would allow content to be uploaded to the cloud? Any suggestions appreciated! Peace.
same problam, diffrent quastion,
can i connect it to my nexus 4 smart phone, and upload the files there?
the main reason isnt lack of storage , it's the reason i wanna see what i pictured right away via my smart phone..
THANKS
post #7 of 13 Old 09-19-2013, 07:38 PM

Also can i use the mini hd port , to view my videos on my smart phone?
(Lg nexus 4)
THANKS
post #8 of 13 Old 09-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Valued Member

taking a portable hard drive could be disastrous in the unfortunate event of coming off your motorbike, the shock of impact could destroy the integrity of the drive leading to irrecoverable data loss
as a biker I use a stack of memory cards as theyre more robust and easier to store in a rigid wallet
have a great journey and dont forget to share with us your video

my aerial videos of stunning Wales and England

my life
post #9 of 13 Old 09-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

Buying multiple SD cards is pretty much the best it gets with the GoPro, especially if you're a person on the go that wants to carry as little things as possible. It sucks having to deal with so many SD cards but it is what works.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-08-2013, 10:01 AM

I have just experimeted with a Scandisk Ultra 64 GB SD card in my Hero 2 using a battery pack for 4 hour of power and got 3 hours 48 minutes of recorded video. Far better then using a 32 GB SD card.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List