Please help a beginner, trying to learn :) - GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 06-20-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Please help a beginner, trying to learn :)

Hi,
Sorry if this in the wrong section... but I wasn't sure... and I think the answer will be easy and quick (I hope).

Question is how do I delete individual files from the SD card, with my computer.

I am a beginner when it comes to computers. Please explain everything in very basic and detailed terms.

I have 2 SD cards for my Hero HD camera, both are 32 GB. I seem to be able to delete files from one card, but not the other.

* I put the "Kingston class 4 card" in the computer's SD card slot. I go to "my computer" and bring up the correct drive. I get to the place with all the various Go Pro video files I've recorded. I can "right click" on a highlighted file, and I get a window, where one of the choices is Delete. I can click on that, and it deletes "that file".
HOWEVER
* I put the "Polaroid class 10 card" in the SD slot and do all the same as above. But when I "right click' on a highlighted file, I also get a window. But none of the choices is Delete! How do I delete files from that card. I don't want to delete the "last file" using the camera's feature.

What am I doing wrong... please help...
Thank you very much,
Greg -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

If you turned on your pc, you

If you turned on your pc, you know a lot more than you think?

1 look on hte SDHC card, there should be on oneside top rightleft words Lock unlock, see if that is in the UNLOCK position.

2 if you can copy and paiste the files from the card to pc, and all files are saved, then you can reformat the sdhc card in the camera or pc.

a Slow site is joining and leaving lets make this a better site by staying around and participating.Vsit my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[B]& Youtube channel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

helpful in ways you never know. forgive my working hands I make mistakes...
post #3 of 10 Old 06-20-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the reply. And

Thank you for the reply.

And yes, I did make sure that the little tab is in the "Unlock" position. That's not what's wrong here.

And - I have a reason why I don't want to copy all files into the PC and then reformat or delete the WHOLE SD card in the camera.

Shouldn't I be able to delete individual files located on the SD card, in my computer, shouldn't I ???

post #4 of 10 Old 06-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

If you have no windows

If you have no windows opened at all but the driver of thecard. G drive, as an example, then you should be able to delete any file you like one at a time, multiple, or all.

So make sure you are not playing that file in a player, or opened in a program.

You can do like said. C/p (copy and pasite) that card. and delete the whole card, and repaiste back to that card.

only other thing I can think of is to go and make sure you did not check in the cam to Protect file. If the opro is allowed that , I am sure it is? anything is possable , right?

a Slow site is joining and leaving lets make this a better site by staying around and participating.Vsit my
[B]& Youtube channel

post #5 of 10 Old 06-20-2012, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
fishycomics wrote:If you

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics
If you have no windows opened at all but the driver of thecard. G drive, as an example, then you should be able to delete any file you like one at a time, multiple, or all.

So make sure you are not playing that file in a player, or opened in a program.

You can do like said. C/p (copy and pasite) that card. and delete the whole card, and repaiste back to that card.

only other thing I can think of is to go and make sure you did not check in the cam to Protect file. If the opro is allowed that , I am sure it is? anything is possable , right?
Thanks a ton. And yes, you're correct... I DO NOT have any other windows open but the driver of the card. But still I can not delete one, or any files, on that SD card.
And - I read the instructions again... and no there isn't any "protect files" setting on the GoPro camera.

Maybe it's a problem with my computer's SD card slot (except I seem to be able to delete files on 1 card, but not the other)?
Or, could there be a problem with "that" card? Maybe some issue with the SD card, won't let me delete files?

Thanks for your efforts... I'm glad I'm not the only one stumped. But it is frustrating...
post #6 of 10 Old 06-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

well at least we tried, try

well at least we tried, try another pc when available , if at a library, friend work
Like said if all else fails best copy and format that card.

Try talking to gopro and asking for support . we paid a lot of money and support is paid for

[B]& Youtube channel

post #7 of 10 Old 06-22-2012, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks again... all good

Thanks again... all good suggestions. I just wanted to update... that I figured it out

I did contact GoPro customer support. They were great, very responsive, and had a suggestion to try the delete key on the keyboard.
Well, that didn't work either.

However, I finally figured it out on my own.
As I think I said before... I had double checked that the little slide tab on the SD card was clearly in the unlocked position. And it was. It makes a clear click, and it slides fully back and forth. Anyway, because I didn't know what else to do... I clicked the little tab back and forth, click, click a couple times. Then with it in "unlock" (just like before)... I tried to delete an individual file, by right clicking on it. And YAY !!! it did work this time

So, I have been able to delete the files I wanted to.

Does anybody know if this is a common problem with SD cards?
That the little lock tab can be in the "unlock" position... but, the card is still "locked" ??

Thanks a lot,
Greg -
post #8 of 10 Old 06-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

very first reply and first

very first reply and first question i asked ya Lol?

very common. You are not correctly placing in your SDHC card, you may think you are but like all, are missaligning it up.

two things could happen.

1. you will not be able to record, due to a protected card, some cameras will tell you card protected, and you have to UNLOCK the sdhc card. And the other you found out the very hard way, overlooking the obvious?

Just make sure you have it unlocked and happy shooting

[B]& Youtube channel

post #9 of 10 Old 06-22-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
fishycomics wrote:very first

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics
very first reply and first question i asked ya Lol?

very common. You are not correctly placing in your SDHC card, you may think you are but like all, are missaligning it up.

two things could happen.

1. you will not be able to record, due to a protected card, some cameras will tell you card protected, and you have to UNLOCK the sdhc card. And the other you found out the very hard way, overlooking the obvious?

Just make sure you have it unlocked and happy shooting
Thanks, I'm just so happy to have learned a bit more about this.
Yes, that was your first thought, "Check to be sure, that the SD tab is not locked". And, yes... I already knew this. I have purchsed two SD cards from two different local stores and both of them mentioned the little tab.
THAT, was not the problem here.

I have done a lot of GoPro stuff in the last 2 months... and on both cards, the tabs are "unlocked" and I do not ever move them.
And when you made that first suggestion, I double checked, and yes, the tab was clearly unlocked. I have continued to do so some more filming, and it's all working normally. There hasn't been any change with recording.
But today, I thought maybe is something wrong with the tab !!!
So, I clicked it to lock (for the first time) and back and forth a couple times. Each and every click was the same as before. It is hard to move, but it does make a nice click... and it moves all the way to lock, or all the way to unlock.

Anyway, I guess there must be something wrong with this particular card. No, I didn't "overlook the obvious". I'm not proud or cocky about this, if I had overlooked it... I'd say so, no problem (lord knows, I'm not perfect But really, it was in the Unlocked position, yet I could not delete files. And yes, it still recorded just fine.
That was my follow-up question... Is it common for the tab to be clearly in the Unlocked position... however, still be locked?

And sorry, what do you mean by this -
"You are not correctly placing in your SDHC card, you may think you are but like all, are missaligning it up."
I don't quite understand this.
If I understand you... Are you saying I am not inserting the SD card correctly... that I am missaligning it ???
Well, no, I don't think I am.
I have not had any problem inserting the card into the camera. It only goes in one way... it works smoothly, no issues.
Or do you think, I am not inserting the SD card in to the SD slot in my computer correctly?
Well, it works just about like the camera does. I insert it very carefully, the same way every time. There hasn't ever been a problem in reading the card, watching the videos on it, etc.
The only problem was in deleteing files.

So, I'm not sure what I've learned, LOL
Either the tab can be in the unlocked position, but still be locked.
Or there is a problem with one function of the SD slot, in my computer. Because, it was doing all the other functions properly, playing vids, etc. It just wouldn't delete files.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

I am never perfect either and

I am never perfect either and that makes us both proud

HIP HIP super happy for ya truely.when I said missalign

your card as well mine moves it may rub slide etc... that is all. and they do wear, noting in this world is perfect. imagine gopro had sliding mechanism for the card slides it in automatically

enjoy bud

[B]& Youtube channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List