Can I use the Gopro for dash cam on my semi truck - GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 03-04-2012, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Can I use the Gopro for dash cam on my semi truck

I am an over the road truck driver and want to set up a dash cam for liability reasons, among other reasons. I know the Video Copilot is used as a dash cam for this reason and records over 24 hours, re-recording over the oldest five hours as it goes along. I am trying to compare the Video Copilot with the Go Pro and with the Contour but I have not found alot of information for comparison. Can I mount the gopro on my dash and hook up the USB to my cigarette lighter adapter, and use it for approximately 11 hours in a day. Thats about how long my trips are including stops. Please someone give me insight and detail on this Gopro or any other and what additional I should buy with it. Thank you ahead of time for your help in figuring out what to buy and use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-06-2012, 11:56 PM

I'm not an expert but I think

I'm not an expert but I think you'll need to order the skeleton housing where the sides are open so that you can plug your 12v battery wire in the camera. Then you'll need an SD card that will store that many hours.
That's what I've done so that I can record my day's fishing trip
post #3 of 6 Old 03-08-2012, 09:08 AM

OTR Solo Company Driver

I'm an OTR Driver and own the GoPro Hero2. I've enjoyed all the features available for the Hero2 but feel it is not designed well for such a purpose you seek. The cam will auto shut off when it gets too warm in the protective housing during extended use. I would seriously look into the VC-400 Series of the Video CoPilot cams if you are an Owner Operator or career Company OTR Driver. The VC-400 has the capability of linking 4 cams "plus" a wireless one for anywhere along the cargo trailer or inside. The VC-400 can also log your location via google maps AND flag events while not stopping it's recording, which could be vital during some "events" during your "on duty" time. The GoPro cam is an exclllent POV tool in "addition" to such a system and is also a great cam to to take pics along all the journeys you take while truck driving. I don't regret getting the Hero2 one bit and have taken many pics, but for the sole purpose of "journal logging" your duty/no duty driver activity you will benefit far great with the VC products and be of wiser assistance to you during judicial instances involving traffic law and evidence. For fun, everyday use, POV (Point Of View) activity shots, sightseeing, and blogging I would pick the GoPro. For legal purposes intended for use in traffic law and commercial liability issues go with the VC Series cams to protect your valuable career as a professional driver.

Thanks for all you do Truck Driver to keep America moving while the rest of us sleep or go about our daily routine.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-08-2012, 08:23 PM

I also drive for a living .

I also drive for a living . Have been using the Hero 2 in my Truck, Car,Motorcycle, Bicycle. The Skeleton housing is the way to go In my car and truck and if the weather is good I'll use it on the Motorcycle so I could use the 12V plug. It works Pretty good Just have to format the card .
post #5 of 6 Old 03-09-2012, 08:40 AM

Well, there ya go :)

That should pretty much sum it up for ya The GoPro has the most versatility of uses and I'm sure is more durable than the others. Just Google Jeb Corliss and see what he's put his through among many other folks.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-08-2013, 12:12 AM
moj

re gopro hero 3 as a dashcam

Hi Guys !

I have fitted a gopro hero 3 silver in my car and the footage is amazing and so far i drive around all day and dont really have any problems at all with this setup

I mounted mine to the windscreen with the adhesive flat clip that is supplied with the camera and then bought the gopro frame mount because it made the camera look less bulkier and a bit more covert , also a sandisk class 10 64gb card , and used a iphone usb cigar charger to power my setup .

Now the only concerns and problems that i have found is that when my 64gb card becomes full the camera stops recording but all i do is reformat it and start again but i,ve read that it is supposed to rerecord over itself but mine doesnt sadly ?

The other problem is i have to start manually recording it when i get into my car every morning but again thats no real problem .

But the main thing that really annoys me about this amazing camera is there is no time and date stamping on the video footage which is so annoying especially if an accident happens while i,m driving i will prob be dismissed in a court of law , i just wish gopro are reading this and consider all the other users that would like it as a dashcam and send this upgraded feature in there next firmware updates and allow it to be switched on or switched off while recording footage etc !

in the daytime you cannot find a better recorded dashcam footage ,honestly its that clear that i can read car numberplates with ease even when its recording at 1080p 25 frames per second in wide screen mode but during the night its not as good but still usable footage .

hope that helps guys and i am really happy with my purchase and once gopro adds the time and date function onto the footage i,d def give the camera a 9/10 for use as a vehicle dashcam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List