Hero 5 produces huge mp4 files - Page 2 - GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 26 Old 10-28-2016, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 15
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreamCheaz View Post
To my knowledge there is nothing you can do about it. There is no way for you to reduce the bit rate or increase the compression for smaller file size, on the GoPro that is.
So, what do people do? I mean, if you are up in the Rocky mountains with your snowboard, all you can shoot without getting back to the computer is a few hours? Don't you think that's ridiculous?
Another thing I find very strange is that the same bit rate is used for all resolutions, so that going to lower resolution (such as 720) does not make the files smaller... But isn't that precisely why people use lower resolution -- to save space?
mgoldenb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 26 Old 10-28-2016, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 15
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Well imagine you back your data up with Quick or studio?

Data adjustment can be done via firmwre by gopro offering High, med, Low? Using protunes really does not help as it makes it the maximum.

Shoot in the lowest res is not the answer or another camera, sorry but that is how gopro works. I convert and toss, ifthat is an issue for you, or zipgile it for your own compression for saving.
I did not understand most of the answer (it looks like you are using an automatic translator from another language and it does not always do a good job). However, the line "data adjustment can be done via firmware by gopro" sounds promising. What exactly did you mean?
mgoldenb is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 10-28-2016, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator
 
Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Apple
Posts: 8,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoldenb View Post
I did not understand most of the answer (it looks like you are using an automatic translator from another language and it does not always do a good job). However, the line "data adjustment can be done via firmware by gopro" sounds promising. What exactly did you mean?
Got to Love Siri.

I said: If gopro allows firmware they can write MBBS quality .

GoPro can offer you what you want only if enough people give feedback at gopro.com support? Bitrate can be controlled by a High, med, and low setting done in the camera. If you want to store your footage compress your files in a file folder, but if you use Stuido you are going t owant to save your back up that really eats space.

Use the lowest resolution if it Decreases the file size and lengthens the video? Bare minimum for a good shot is not 15mbbs it's like 7mbbs, not for this action camera.

FISH

Your rocky mout remark:

you dump it to your other devices on you, like a wireless driver.

a Slow site is joining and leaving lets make this a better site by staying around and participating.Vsit my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[B]& Youtube channel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

helpful in ways you never know. forgive my working hands I make mistakes...

Last edited by Fish; 10-28-2016 at 12:14 PM. Reason: time for Caffeen
Fish is offline  
 
post #14 of 26 Old 10-28-2016, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member
 
KreamCheaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoldenb View Post
So, what do people do? I mean, if you are up in the Rocky mountains with your snowboard, all you can shoot without getting back to the computer is a few hours? Don't you think that's ridiculous?
Another thing I find very strange is that the same bit rate is used for all resolutions, so that going to lower resolution (such as 720) does not make the files smaller... But isn't that precisely why people use lower resolution -- to save space?
Changing the resolution does make a difference in file size.
I just did 2 tests:
1. 1 minute of video @ 720p 30fps W = 341MB
2. 1 minute of video @ 4K 24fps W = 454MB

Honestly, I don't see an issue with it. If for instance you were limited by internal storage then yes it would be a problem but the fact that you can purchase additional SD cards and some go up to 128GB then you have enough options to overcome any of those issues.

Cheers,
KreamCheaz
KreamCheaz is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 10-28-2016, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 15
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Bitrate can be controlled by a High, med, and low setting done in the camera.
Please, where exactly in the menus is it located? (unless you mean the field of view and by "high" and "low" you mean "wide" and "narrow")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Use the lowest resolution if it Decreases the file size and lengthens the video?
What do you mean by "decreases the file size and lengthens the video"? Why question mark at the end?
mgoldenb is offline  
post #16 of 26 Old 10-28-2016, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 15
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreamCheaz View Post
Honestly, I don't see an issue with it. If for instance you were limited by internal storage then yes it would be a problem but the fact that you can purchase additional SD cards and some go up to 128GB then you have enough options to overcome any of those issues.
At least two issues:

1. The need to always run videos through compressing software. This constitutes considerable time overhead if you have many files (i.e. hundreds, a minute- or two- long each). The alternative is using multiple expensive storage devices or an expensive cloud service (actually, are there clouds with unlimited storage and no need for storing things on your computer as well? i.e. Dropbox business account is excluded)

2. The amount of money things like 128 GB micro SD cost.
mgoldenb is offline  
post #17 of 26 Old 10-28-2016, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member
 
KreamCheaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoldenb View Post
At least two issues:

1. The need to always run videos through compressing software. This constitutes considerable time overhead if you have many files (i.e. hundreds, a minute- or two- long each). The alternative is using multiple expensive storage devices or an expensive cloud service (actually, are there clouds with unlimited storage and no need for storing things on your computer as well? i.e. Dropbox business account is excluded)

2. The amount of money things like 128 GB micro SD cost.

Hi mgoldenb,

1. I am not sure if you experience with tape media but back in the day, we used to be limited by the amount of space on tape media which was usually 1-2 hours/tape. In addition transferring the media to your computer took real time because you had to play it back to capture it in file format.

Nowadays, you can fit almost 3 hours of HD footage on a 32GB sd card that sells for $20 and buy a 1 TB external drive for $54 (Which can hold about 30 hours of footage). Clearly there are a lot of perks that we have these days.

2. A 128GB sandisk microSD costs $65 and can hold almost 11 hours of 720p HD footage. This one works with GoPro based on reviews https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extre...cro+sd+card+u3

Cheers,
KreamCheaz
KreamCheaz is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 10-30-2016, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 15
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreamCheaz View Post
Hi mgoldenb,

1. I am not sure if you experience with tape media but back in the day, we used to be limited by the amount of space on tape media which was usually 1-2 hours/tape. In addition transferring the media to your computer took real time because you had to play it back to capture it in file format.

Nowadays, you can fit almost 3 hours of HD footage on a 32GB sd card that sells for $20 and buy a 1 TB external drive for $54 (Which can hold about 30 hours of footage). Clearly there are a lot of perks that we have these days.

2. A 128GB sandisk microSD costs $65 and can hold almost 11 hours of 720p HD footage. This one works with GoPro based on reviews https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extre...cro+sd+card+u3
Thank you for your answers. This makes sense. However, you do not always need HD quality. In fact, it is not easy to see the difference in quality between a 3 GB video and the same video compressed to 200 MB. Just like people enjoy having hundreds of hours of music on a single USB key, it is sometimes great to have all your videos on one drive. I think that configurable compression ratio would be a great feature. Also, it's probably already in the camera's software, so why not make it available through the user interface instead of forcing on the user an arbitrarily chosen ratio that is hard-coded?

Another small point (small for me, since I do not use PLUS). How long does it take a PLUS user to have a 10 GB video uploaded to the cloud? I am sure it takes longer than the length of the footage itself... With better compression, this would happen in real time and many hours could be stored on the cloud.

Last edited by mgoldenb; 10-30-2016 at 08:13 AM.
mgoldenb is offline  
post #19 of 26 Old 10-30-2016, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member
 
KreamCheaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoldenb View Post
Thank you for your answers. This makes sense. However, you do not always need HD quality. In fact, it is not easy to see the difference in quality between a 3 GB video and the same video compressed to 200 MB. Just like people enjoy having hundreds of hours of music on a single USB key, it is sometimes great to have all your videos on one drive. I think that configurable compression ratio would be a great feature. Also, it's probably already in the camera's software, so why not make it available through the user interface instead of forcing on the user an arbitrarily chosen ratio that is hard-coded?

Another small point (small for me, since I do not use PLUS). How long does it take a PLUS user to have a 10 GB video uploaded to the cloud? I am sure it takes longer than the length of the footage itself... With better compression, this would happen in real time and many hours could be stored on the cloud.
Hi mgoldenb,

I see your point in wanting to be able to store all your videos in one place like your music collection, but you need to take into account that the GoPro has 2 goals: 1. To be the best action cam out there and 2. To be broadcast quality. Both require it to have high data rate.

Here is a post I found that might help explain things, it is a bit dated but still relevant.
http://webvideouniversity.com/blog/2...y-they-matter/

Cheers,
KreamCheaz
KreamCheaz is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 11-02-2016, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 15
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreamCheaz View Post
Hi mgoldenb,

I see your point in wanting to be able to store all your videos in one place like your music collection, but you need to take into account that the GoPro has 2 goals: 1. To be the best action cam out there and 2. To be broadcast quality. Both require it to have high data rate.

Here is a post I found that might help explain things, it is a bit dated but still relevant.
http://webvideouniversity.com/blog/2...y-they-matter/
Thank you for the informative link. However, you did not understand me. I did not propose to lower the bit rate. I proposed to retain the high bit rate, but to let the user specify the compression ratio. That is, instead of me compressing the video after transferring it to the computer, the camera would perform the compression before saving the video onto microSD. It already does that, only with a fixed low compression ratio.
mgoldenb is offline  
Reply

Tags
file

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Huge quality loss after upload wentill Video Editing Software 4 07-27-2015 10:13 PM
broken mp4 files shot with goprohero3 115v GoPro Hero 3, 3+ & 4 1 04-04-2015 08:46 PM
mp4 files missing sound when doing playback drewgie GoPro Original & Hero 2 1 08-17-2012 06:16 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome