GoPro Hero3 vs. iPhone 5 - GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 07-22-2013, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
GoPro Hero3 vs. iPhone 5

DxO Labs has released a comparison of the GoPro Hero3 action camera and the advanced iPhone 5 smartphone. Contrasting the rugged, sports-enthusiast-endorsed GoPro with the popular, fragile touchscreen phone is actually quite appropriate as both boast impressive video/photo capturing technology.
The Apple iPhone 5 surpassed the GoPro when it came to taking stills; the iPhone produced more accurate colors with better exposure and contrast. Regarding video recording, however, the GoPro was the clear winner. The Hero 3 HD won in every category except stabilization, which can be forgiven thanks to its ability to capture high-speed videos and its available accessories designed for stabilization errors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-22-2013, 10:18 AM

I've been wondering about a comparison between these two, not only for their technological capabilities but for the fact that both are beginning to be marketed as sort of "legitimate" cameras. Especially with all the accessories and enthusiasts emerging as niche markets for Apple iPhone and GoPro Hero cameras. Can you provide any details from the review, like specs or features that hindered/helped each camera?
post #3 of 7 Old 07-22-2013, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The wide angle lens is pretty much the answer. It can capture way more depth of field (170 degree angle compared to 70) than the iPhone and it assists with autofocus and stabilization. It gives a "natural" look to stills, as sharpness starts around 30cm and beyond, and it helps remove camera shake. There is however some lateral chromatic aberration, causing some color fault errors around margins and edges, and the GoPro Hero3 lens is pretty much a giant fish eye, but despite the distortion you are still getting the sharpest image and best recording device tested with the DxOMark Mobile protocol. The tests are somewhat flawed, however, as the GoPro Hero3 is the first action camera tested under this protocol.
Here's a chart from the comparison, where the GoPro Hero3 is blue and the Apple iPhone 5 is red:

post #4 of 7 Old 07-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

I would hope a dedicated video camera would do a better job vs a multimedia phone with video and photo capabilities.

post #5 of 7 Old 07-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Valued Member

Part of the appeal of the GoPro is its durability and accessories that make it more adaptable. The GoPro is waterproof, and much more resisant to dropping, the screen will not crack upon dropping the wrong way, etc... If you want an amazing camera, you would buy a Nokia or Canon. The GoPro is in a different category. The iPhone is a great casual camera but I think it lacks some of the qualities that make GoPro unique.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-11-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurm! View Post
Part of the appeal of the GoPro is its durability and accessories that make it more adaptable. The GoPro is waterproof, and much more resisant to dropping, the screen will not crack upon dropping the wrong way, etc... If you want an amazing camera, you would buy a Nokia or Canon. The GoPro is in a different category. The iPhone is a great casual camera but I think it lacks some of the qualities that make GoPro unique.
I think you nailed it with that response. That is the reason I purchased a go pro, if not I would be recording with my Iphone 5.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-18-2013, 09:14 PM

agree!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List