GoPro failed to record & save 2 hours worth of footage - GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 01-04-2018, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
GoPro failed to record & save 2 hours worth of footage

I checked the amount of recording time I had left on the card this morning. 2 hours and 11 minutes.

I recorded about 2 hours worth of footage today. Camera was recording normally. Red light blinking, fully charged battery, etc. Everything was functioning as usual. At the end of the day, I saw I only had 11 minutes of recording time left, so all seemed normal. I plug my SD card and what do I see? Nothing. Granted, there was footage I recorded on there from December 29th, but there was virtually nothing from today. I even plugged my card back into the GoPro and tried finding the footage through the playback mode, and even though the card memory showed I filmed 2 hours of footage today, none of my footage was on there.

This is not the first time this has happened. There have been other occasions where I record something, and then when I go to review it, it just isn't there. Needless to say it's pretty awful when you record something that you probably won't get a chance to film again and the camera just doesn't save it. I've been using the same SD card in my Hero4 since I got it over a year ago, it gave me no problems whatsoever until this recording issue started popping up a few months ago.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-04-2018, 01:54 AM
Contributing Member

First I would try another new SD card and make some tests, if the GoPro is recording and the footage isn't visible that could be a card problem even when the card worked for a long time.
You can give the card a chance by formatting- good luck.

Ciao Rob

My channel

https://m.youtube.com/feed/account
post #3 of 6 Old 01-04-2018, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

@NeckbeardedWarrio You got what card for your Hero 4 model? and no issues at all.

How do you dump off the files?

Camera -to-PC orMac

slot reader- to PC orMac

Posts read some Mac users have this issue b/c their cards noted by @Jatekman said are countefeit?

unless you got another card from whoever to try . that may be your issue?

Vsit my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[B]& Youtube channel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

helpful in ways you never know. forgive my working hands I make mistakes...

post #4 of 6 Old 01-04-2018, 01:56 PM

Sounds like an I/O error writing to SD card. I've had that happen on occasion except I end up with a file that just isn't readable. Sometimes I can salvage it with repair tools, sometimes not. But in your case, sounds like you just have no file at all. If the card was FAT32 formatted the max file size is 4Gb although I haven't seen an SD card that wasn't NTFS. In any event, I'm more inclined to suspect faulty memory card than the Gopro, unless the Gopro shut off suddenly from overheating or depleted battery. I also wonder if you exceeded memory capacity. I think the time remaining is an estimated calculation.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-04-2018, 01:57 PM

You might also try some disk repair tools to analyze the SD card and see if it can detect any errors or recover any files.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-14-2018, 07:04 AM
Valued Member

Sounds like a bad card. Throw it away and get you a new one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List