• 1 Post By Dr. Z
  • 1 Post By ajk9
  • 1 Post By ajk9

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 04-12-2016, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Recommended settings for tutorial vid?

Hi guys,

I have only ever used my GoPro recreationally, usually in 1080 / 30 format for fun. However, tomorrow I am due to help a client of mine film some videos for their website / SEO, and I'm looking for suggestions on how to get the best quality recording without the data flow being huge (I will be uploading them to Youtube and embedding them on their website).

Few things to note:

*The videos will be roughly 1-2 minutes in length - very short covering each topic individually in a sort of FAQ format with me standing roughly 1-2 metres away recording my client.

*The lighting in her clinic is not fantastic, and if it's a dull day outside this has a prevalent effect in the room. However we do have a good lamp that improves it significantly.

*Software wise, I will be editing the videos on Final Cut Pro after they are completed using my Macbook Pro.

So far my understanding and research would suggest that 2.7K / 60 / wide or medium would be appropriate, but I'm only going to get 1 day to do this, and as we're recording around 10-15 videos, would like to get it right.

Many thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-12-2016, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard sounds like you got it covered, and hope our members who have the better experience of these types of shoots can chime in and help answer your project questions. On that Note

Enjoy the site and your answer will come in time

FISH

If you use 4K and Auto light adjustment on (for the Hero 4 BE) the camera will adjust what is best via the sensor. If the light is not correct grain. Gopro.com Staff just puts it all to shame no boundries.

2K will do fine, 30Fps will be more for general and lower lighting.
ajk9 likes this.

a Slow site is joining and leaving lets make this a better site by staying around and participating.Vsit my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[B]& Youtube channel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

helpful in ways you never know. forgive my working hands I make mistakes...

Last edited by Fish; 04-12-2016 at 09:59 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-12-2016, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Lot's information located HERE. Personally you are going to want a frame rate that is going to use all available light as efficiently as possible. You should do a few test videos in that environment prior to the actual shoot. Your spot meter should be on so the available light in the room does not overpower the sensor. I would set the ISO at around

Probably 2.7K superview 30FPS would work well in low light or perhaps 2.7K 24FPS (assuming no slow motion is warranted) this will allow use of the 4.3 and stretches it to 16.9 to keep your footage in video format.

If this is a one time shoot, I strongly suggest that you shoot a test video first and view it on a desktop/laptop or whatever to insure the quality of the video.

You didn't specify what camera you are using so I am guessing here but you should also consider other settings as well. First would be Protune. Since you are using FCP you will likely do your own color grading. In that case I would use Protune in "flat" and make adjustments in post.

White balance in this case will be trial and error, or you could use "auto" but give the camera a chance to normalize to the correct setting on each touch of the record button. Or, you can try it at 5500 or 6500 both are good in cool lighting like incandescents and fluorescents.

ISO should be a consideration as well. Lower ISO's will result in darker footage but the video will be less noisy. If you are using a Hero 4 you should try an ISO of 400, 200 and 100 to see what is best for your lighting situation. Again, practice!

Sharpness, should be set at low or medium and adjusted in post.

Exposure, this should be left at +0.0 or perhaps +0.5 but you need to play with that setting.

You should have a plan on how to test these. Plan your settings in advance, maybe right down two or three combinations and try them, view them and you will be prepared before you shoot the actual video for best results.

ajk9 likes this.

Cheers,
Charlie

post #4 of 8 Old 04-12-2016, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks very much for your help gents. I guess there will be a fair amount of trial and error based on your responses, but from my experiments so far I'm hovering towards 2.7k / 30fps.

Just to clarify, I have a GoPro Hero 4 Silver edition.
Fish likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-12-2016, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Wondering if I can ask another question whilst I'm here.

When I try to import the video I've recorded into Final Cut Pro in the 2.7k / 30 format, it's saying the following message:

"The video properties of this clip are not recognised.
Click OK to use the settings below or click Cancel to choose another clip to automatically set your properties from."

It then obviously gives me the option to select the Format, Resolution & Rate. After selecting the properties I recorded with, however, it's coming up smaller (width and height) within a black frame around it, like the video is condensed down in size? Hope this makes sense.

Not sure how I can expand it again to take up the full screen so it doesn't come with the black border around it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Fish likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-12-2016, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

It sounds like you have recorded in 4.3 aspect ratio. Normally that AR is square and used for photos. 16.9 AR is dynamically stretched for use with video. If FCP will let you change the timeline to 4.3 I'd try that first. I don't have FCP but I think our own @Ifti (supermod) does. Perhaps he can help you with this.

Failing being able to change the aspect ratio you might want to set a background or color board and just play the video on top it. It will save you a lot of trouble. The only other option is to crop your videos so they fill the window but all the edge detail will be lost.

Cheers,
Charlie

Last edited by Dr. Z; 04-12-2016 at 04:46 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-15-2016, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Awesome man, massively appreciated. Thanks for all the help so far.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

So, how did the video shoot go?

Cheers,
Charlie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List