Hero 3 Black Power Draw? - GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 02-24-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hero 3 Black Power Draw?

I want to power my Hero 3 Black with an external power source. It's being carried on a quadcopter and I'd like to power it off of the onboard 5200mah 3s lipo battery. I've typically used a Polulu 5v/600ma step-down regulator to power the GoPro and that has worked fine all the way up to my GoPro Hero 3 White. To be clear, I do not mean trickle charging but actually powering the camera during recording with no battery inside. It does not work with the Hero 3 Black. I can't even turn the camera on like this much less record.

So I'm wondering what the amp draw is for the Hero 3 Black while it is recording at the highest settings? And can it powered through its USB port? I tend to think yes to that second question.

I've searched quite a bit for the power draw of the Hero 3 Black and the best info I could find was this power chart suggesting 2.6 watts for the H3B when recording. If so, at 5v, that would imply something like 0.52A or 520ma. Does this sound right?

What I'm thinking of trying is using a 5v/1A polulu stepdown and seeing if that works. I knew the H3B was a power hog before I bought it but I can't imagine it would draw more than 1A, right??

Thank you for any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-24-2015, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

You know what this is?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fat-Shark-4S...item2c9550ffa6

What you will need. plugs into your balance lead

and from there

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-Degree-US...item2c90df1f4d

you may now think about this as well
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GOLD-WEI...item2a45c760fc

weight the battery? what is the weight???
weight the other two products, what is the weight???

Do they add up to the battery???

and you then can say its only a few grams difference.

1 USB port is your power source.
2. battery out of camera , may or may not work the camera.

Your camera is in hand try it!!!

a Slow site is joining and leaving lets make this a better site by staying around and participating.Vsit my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[B]& Youtube channel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

helpful in ways you never know. forgive my working hands I make mistakes...
post #3 of 7 Old 02-24-2015, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks I already am very familiar with those products. And yes, my camera is in hand, and I have tried it. And what I was saying in my original post is that it is not working.

Can I confirm that if enough watts are provided through the GoPro Hero 3 Black's USB port, I can power the H3B without a battery inside it?? Adding numbers to it, if I provide 5v at 1amp max is that enough? 2A? 5A?

That's my question.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Bat is needed to run camera. without the bat and outside power camera does not run. I am sure another member will confirm this

a Slow site is joining and leaving lets make this a better site by staying around and participating.Vsit my
[B]& Youtube channel

post #5 of 7 Old 02-24-2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks I cant post links yet but google "Cam-Do GoPro Controller Board Application Notes" to see how to run withotu bats.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-24-2015, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

I check with the RCGroups.com for a faster response and many more people doing what you want

[B]& Youtube channel

post #7 of 7 Old 02-25-2015, 05:38 PM

Don't believe this is possible. Unless you can find a custom battery/shell that connects directly to an external supply of power. The GoPro camera has circuitry to monitor the battery, so it must be more than just 5V connection to the batter. There are three terminals on the battery...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List