Hero 4 Black continues to becon after power down - GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 02-02-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hero 4 Black continues to becon after power down

This weekend I finally decided to experiment with the H4B and the Android App on my phone. Not too hard to set up and pair successfully. It's nice to be able to change settings, and do things like clear the SD card. After I was finished, I closed the App on the phone and powered the H4B down. The H4B continued to beacon for a phone app connection (blue LED flashing), even tho the camera is powered off. Did some web searching and find that holding the button on the side for a few seconds turns off the becon. But, that also resets the wifi in the camera to OFF. To re-pair the 2 devices, you have to go back into settings in the camera and reset the wifi settings.
I assume that if you do not stop the blue flash becon, that the battery will be run down?
Is this the experience for users of I-Phones?
Seems like the GoPro could use a true "sleep" and "wakeup" feature that stops and restarts ALL function to save battery?
Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-04-2015, 09:15 PM

My blue light stopped flashing overnight but I pushed no button on the side. My iOS app does not find it now though. Hmm.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-05-2015, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornedfrog86 View Post
My blue light stopped flashing overnight but I pushed no button on the side. My iOS app does not find it now though. Hmm.
what I found is that after I pushed the side button and the blue light quit, that wireless was reset to "NO". You have to restart wireless on the camera for your phone app to pair up again. did your battery run down overnight? thanks.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-07-2015, 04:14 AM

Yes, leaving the Wi-Fi "ON" (blue light flashing) will drain the battery if you do not disable it with the SETTINGS button.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

On the new Hero4 Black camera, the side button is for the settings and not the wi-fi. I thought this was a goofy move also as the side button is now used for camera settings. To disable and enable the wireless you have to go into the settings and turn it off/on as needed and that will turn the blue light off and on. I have the Hero3 Black and also the Hero3+ Black and the wireless buttons are on the side and I wish they would have kept it that way so no one got confused. If you put it (the 4 Black) in the "frame" mount it is in the same place (wireless button).
post #6 of 8 Old 02-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Wink

the side button has to features
to accesss Wi-Fi, and to access settings in modes.

FISH

on the latter model it is to access Wi-Fi only. and can not access mode settings.

a Slow site is joining and leaving lets make this a better site by staying around and participating.Vsit my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[B]& Youtube channel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

helpful in ways you never know. forgive my working hands I make mistakes...
post #7 of 8 Old 02-17-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookena View Post
Yes, leaving the Wi-Fi "ON" (blue light flashing) will drain the battery if you do not disable it with the SETTINGS button.
Thank you.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-23-2015, 03:28 PM

Yeah Im a newbie owner too, and the light was flashing.

I held the side settings button for 2-3 seconds, then it flashes a few times and permanently turns off.

This means that you will no longer be able to remotely turn it on via WIFI because, obviously, youve turned off the wifi.

Let me know if you find a work around!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List