GoPro Hero 3 crackling/static sound in a vehicle. Even out of the clear case and held in hand. - Page 11 - GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #101 of 129 Old 05-29-2013, 01:39 PM

I think it is not any kind of interference, but its simply the **** wi-fi button that's rattling.

Do a little test, take the camera out from the case and shake it while recording, then do the same while holding the wi-fi button down - NO MORE NOISE. Now i have to figure out how to stop the rattling, adding a tape over the button doesn't help, its the switch that is under the button inside the camera!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 129 Old 05-30-2013, 07:05 AM

Hi there!!

First post on here (Just wish it had been a better one)...

Right so my parents bought be a GP3 Black Edition when they were in Hawaii and brought it back to me here in the UK which was awesome.

Now my main purpose was to use it on my Audi A3 to take some pretty cool videos of driving as well as surfing and a few other things.

After waiting a few days for my tripod mount to arrive I whacked it on the car very excitedly to get going... Had the Wifi On, used my App to check it's position and control (Turned preview off whilst recording). I then went inside to grab the footage and noticed this weird crackling. Did a search on Google and found my way here! After reading the whole thread I got in contact with GoPro who have been very good at replying to my responses so far!

Here is the conversation to point:

My Initial Support Message:

Hi there,

My parents purchased me a camera when they were on holiday and I have only used it twice so far. I am experiencing an issue with a crackling noise when doing recordings with a suction mount on my car.

Have researched online and it seems to be a common problem with the GP Cameras. Is there any fix for this yet? Not a great start considering I have paid over £300 for this camera.

I direct you to a forum where this has be discussed quite a bit.

[url]https://www.goproforums.com/15-gopro-hd-hero3/1321-gopro-hero-3-crackling-static-sound-vehicle-even-out-clear-case-held-hand.html[/url]

It seems that it is nothing to do with any electrical systems but more of the Mic picking up on low noises and then amplifying it to create an "electrical cracking" noise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

First Response from Dan @ GoPro:

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your email,

There are times when certain external electrical interference or audio frequencies will interfere with the audio recording of the camera, and cause a background static. This static should only be appearing in your video if it is being exposed to the interference or frequency.

For example, if in a car, you should not have the static if the car is switched off. Electrical systems vary from car to car, so it's not something that will appear in all vehicles or with other external electrical devices that may be causing the interference. Also, all audio frequencies do not interfere with the audio recording, so you should not hear this interference all the time.

Our engineering team is looking to see if we can reduce this interference by filtering out parts of the audio during processing, by making adjustments to the camera's software. Should this be possible, we'll have a free software update in the future to optimize the camera's audio for such situations.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Many Thanks,
Daniel

At this point, It seemed like they have sent me a stock message as I remembered it from this thread....

My Response:

Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly. It does appear though that you have sent me a stock reply rather than an actual typed out email? I'm pretty sure I have seen this response on the forums.

Anyway, I can 100% guarantee that it is not due to any electrical interference or "static". The camera picks up this crackling even when the car is switched off. I have also managed to replicate by putting it on a table inside my house and lightly tapping the table.

Does this mean that I have paid a lot of money for a camera which doesn't actually work for the main purpose I bought it?

Thanks,

Tim

Daniel @ GoPro's Response:

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your reply,

Not really sure what was the main purpose you bought the camera for, we can tell you that the issue reported by you is not common at all, and you do take a look at some of our customer's video in youtube you will see there's allot of users that do not have any type issues and use the camera inside and outside there vehicles.
Since you mention you can replicate this same issue in the house would you be so kind to do so, place you camera without the housing in a desk (please be sure camera will not fall off the desk) and record for about 10 to 15 seconds doing the Tap on the teble in order to replicate the crackling noise and send that video to us, please CC: (Edited Out)@gopro.com

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Many Thanks,
Daniel

My Last Response:

Hi Daniel,

Have done the test for you. Please see the YouTube link below. You can start to hear the crackling in the last few seconds of the video. It's not as loud but it is still there if you listen carefully!

[url]http://youtu.be/ibv63EgXm-4[/url]

I have also attached two videos as examples to show the crackling from when you used on my vehicle.

Side Mount - [url]http://youtu.be/_cMh2qmvFvI[/url]

Exhaust Mount - [url]http://youtu.be/J0W5tz2WFLw[/url]

It's worth noting that as the crackling is only audible when the car is actually moving and not just stationary which would suggest its movement related and not being caused by interference from an electrical system within the car.

In regards to it being not common, I'm afraid it is. I point you in the direction of this thread on a popular GoPro Forum:

[url]https://www.goproforums.com/15-gopro-hd-hero3/1321-gopro-hero-3-crackling-static-sound-vehicle-even-out-clear-case-held-hand.html[/url]

Clearly shows "A Lot" of people with the same issue.

In the thread it has been shown that if you use an external microphone then the problem disappears.

It's worth mentioning as well that quite a lot of "customer" videos are mainly post production so if something was encountered it would either have been filtered or music added on top.

--

I bought this camera so that I could use it for Vehicle related videos and the fact that when I come to use it on a vehicle it doesn't work correctly. It's a great shame and really lets your Product down.

I don't want any kind of excuses, I just want to know that you recognise it as a problem and will be pushing this further to be resolved. Hopefully in the form of a software update.

Thanks.

Tim

--

So this is where I now stand... The reason I'm posting the conversation is so that others can do the same and make this a real point with GoPro to get something sorted or at least a genuine explanation.

As mentioned above, GoPro so far have been pretty good and Daniel seems to really want to help!

Will report back

Tim
post #103 of 129 Old 05-31-2013, 06:54 AM

Ok here is a quick update...

Daniel @ GoPro's latest Response:

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your reply,

Just to be sure could you please go thought the firmware update once again since this last firmware version did came out to help sort some of the noise issues, in order to do so please follow the steps below:
Please follow the procedure bellow in order to update your camera manually:

1. Connect you camera to your computer with the USB cable and power it on.

2. To manually update the HERO3ís firmware youíll need to have JAVA disabled on the Browser

3. Go to [url]http://gopro.com/support/product-updates-support/[/url] and choose your camera model.

4. Youíll get a message 'install Java' on your screen, please don't do so.

5. Please click the manually update camera link on lower-right. (youíll need to click it twice to confirm). Fill in the registration fields.

6. On the next screen youíll need to type in the cameraís serial number (itís case sensitive, so make sure that you have Caps Lock ON)

7. Following will be the registration information for the WiFi connection.The Name and Password chosen must have 8 characters, only Numbers and Letters, no other type of characters.

8. Youíll then have the link the download the firmware update files, which are downloaded in a standard zipped folder.

9. After you have the zip file on your computer, place ALL files that come inside the zip onto the root of your micro-SD card.

10. Power Off the camera, and unplug it from the computer.

11. Power On the camera, the update process will begin automatically. Please do not press any buttons at this stage.
The firmware update can take between 5 to 10 minutes, and the camera may power off and back on by itself.

To confirm it was updated successfully please follow these steps:

- Power On the camera.
- Format SD Card
- Take a Single Photo
- Access the SD card with a Computer
- Under the MISC folder, there will be a version.txt file
- This file contains the firmware versions installed on the camera (both camera and wifi). Please copy the content of it onto your reply.

Also we would advise our customers to use the Fog Inserts in order to avoid some of the crackling noise,
This should get your HD HERO 3 back on track, but let us know how it goes.

On a personal note thank you for not sending my personal Work email to the Forum, not sure if you are aware GoPro does not have or maintain any public Forums.

Many Thanks,
Daniel

My Further Response:

Hey Daniel.

I updated the camera as soon as I got it last week so I know it has the latest Firmware.

I'm happy to do the update again but I doubt it would do anything different. I don't have my GP3 with me at the moment to send you the version info but will do this when I can.

Appreciate you looking on the thread and I know there is no "official" forum. I do believe this to be a real issue. This is just one of many forums that have similar threads, a simple Google search of "GoPro Crackling Noise" will show this. This seems to be the biggest one though.

In regards to the suggestion of using fog inserts, how would this combat the issue of the mic picking up and then amplifying the noise? I am happy to try this but I don't want to purchase something else to fix a problem that shouldn't be here in the first place.

Do you know if there is going to be any further updates to try and help this issue? I have a really cool camera here and I'm really excited to start using it properly but as it stands, I can't see it being fit for purpose.

No problem about the email address, I wouldn't want mine on a public forum. The reason I am posting on the forum is to show visibility and transparency of you guys actually trying to help the owners of GP3s with this issue.

Thanks,

Tim

post #104 of 129 Old 05-31-2013, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

I'm starting to be interested in running external microphones. Just clearer recording is worth it depending on what you are doing. Just have to find one that is compact enough to somehow mount alongside the GoPro

post #105 of 129 Old 06-04-2013, 10:16 AM

Just had a quick interim response from GoPro to try some Fog Inserts and see if this helps.

I needed some anyway so have purchased them direct from Gopro! Willing to give it a try.

In the mean time they are hoping to see if anything software related can be done.

Hopefully this will get sorted asap!
post #106 of 129 Old 06-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Software would help. Let me know if that fog insert works.

post #107 of 129 Old 06-09-2013, 08:38 PM

External Polar Pro mic no help

I have the same problem with a GoPro Black 3, and switching to the Polar Pro mic with fuzz on the outside connected to the external mic port was worse. Visual is great, audio is bad new so far with buffeting noises and cracks, even when barely moving. The Polar Pro is supposed to be good to 30 mph. Forget it, it's worse. At the moment, all I can see is to get a separate recorder and record the audio, a huge PITA.
post #108 of 129 Old 06-10-2013, 05:05 PM

Unhappy

Just got a Silver and took it out to the trails. Sound was great for the majority of the videos. We took a half hour break and then I shot two more videos. Both of them had horrible static . I assumed it was due to low battery.

The next day I did a sound check indoors/fully charged and the static was still there. I then went through the menus looking for sound options and tapped the camera lightly on my palm. The next test video I took had perfect sound again .

I'm not sure if the tapping re-seated some connection. I will test some more but if this is intermittent then I think that points to some manufacturing issue. It is not necessarily bad hardware but bad manufacturing. Software would just be masking the issue.

If the static returns I will be returning the camera while I still can. Very disappointing.

Last edited by Offroad; 06-10-2013 at 05:07 PM.
post #109 of 129 Old 06-10-2013, 10:57 PM

Well I did some tests in and out of the case and the noise is gone. I was kind of hoping it would return so I could bring the camera back under warrantee. I don't want it coming back after the point where I can't return the camera. It sounds great now though.

I do have footage before and after the sound started if anyone thinks it will be helpful.
post #110 of 129 Old 06-15-2013, 08:59 AM

Offroad --

What did you do to get it to work right? What have you tried to do with it in the tests? Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List