GoPro App "Live" Preview Delay - GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 PM

(Thread Starter)
GoPro App "Live" Preview Delay

So I ran out and bought the WiFi BacPac now that the app has been released... Love everything about it except the advertised "Live" preview feature has a 2 second delay!

Is anyone else experiencing lag time with the live preview?

All GoPro devices updated to latest firmware, using iPod Touch 4thGen w/ iOS6

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-18-2012, 11:02 AM

I explained the reasons for

I explained the reasons for this elsewhere. This is not a shortcoming of the app. This is a wireless stream between two pieces of hardware with limited processing power and memory. It's no different that what you would see streaming video wirelessly in your home.

GoPro Firmware Release Information
HERO2, WiFi Bacpac & GoPro App

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 (BIOS 3603), i7-2600k@3.5
16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600+, Corsair TX850w
EVGA GTX660 FTW SIG2, Case: HAF 922
2x Corsair Force III 120's RAID0 (boot)
1 x Seagate 1T 6GB (data), Win7x64 Ult.
NAS
#1 QNAP TS-219P-II 4TB WD RED - QTS 4.0.1
#2 D-Link 323 4TB
#3 Old 10-20-2012, 01:28 PM

That is the problem

Well shadowsports
thats right but its very different from almost every home streaming product.
and thats the delay... never mind the reasons,,, when it comes to the streaming function its by far the worst product i have tried.

#4 Old 10-20-2012, 11:46 PM

peterhnr wrote:Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhnr
Well shadowsports
and thats the delay... never mind the reasons,,, when it comes to the streaming function its by far the worst product i have tried.
peterhnr,
It's not really. Streaming devices such as roku, apple TV, WD-tv, etc all use the same technology (for the most part) to stream content wirelessly. While each may use a slightly different type of compression or codec content delivery is pretty much the same. They require a fast downstream connection in order to keep the buffer or memory on the streaming device (one of the examples I gave above) full. Memory is used to buffer the incoming stream of information. The processor then takes the role of decompressing the stream. For example, it takes much less processing power and memory to stream a low resolution video (320x240 or 640x480), A hi-def video in say 720 or 1080 requires much more memory and processing power to play smoothly (without skips, jitters or chopiness etc).

You don't see this in a home streaming device because the content is being delivered through a "bigger pipe", and your "G" or 'N" band router is delivering this content continiously to the player's buffer while continiously being decoded for display.

In contrast, the Wi-Fi Bac Pac has limited bandwidth in comparison for streaming and the App running on the iPhone has limited resources (processing power and memory) available to it. So what you get is network latency combined with limited processing power & memory which ultimately translates to lag.

NAS
#2 D-Link 323 4TB
#5 Old 10-21-2012, 04:07 AM

Thats right

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsports
Quote:
Well shadowsports
peterhnr,
It's not really. Streaming devices such as roku, apple TV, WD-tv, etc all use the same technology (for the most part) to stream content wirelessly. While each may use a slightly different type of compression or codec content delivery is pretty much the same. They require a fast downstream connection in order to keep the buffer or memory on the streaming device (one of the examples I gave above) full. Memory is used to buffer the incoming stream of information. The processor then takes the role of decompressing the stream. For example, it takes much less processing power and memory to stream a low resolution video (320x240 or 640x480), A hi-def video in say 720 or 1080 requires much more memory and processing power to play smoothly (without skips, jitters or chopiness etc).

You don't see this in a home streaming device because the content is being delivered through a "bigger pipe", and your "G" or 'N" band router is delivering this content continiously to the player's buffer while continiously being decoded for display.

In contrast, the Wi-Fi Bac Pac has limited bandwidth in comparison for streaming and the App running on the iPhone has limited resources (processing power and memory) available to it. So what you get is network latency combined with limited processing power & memory which ultimately translates to lag.
I agree with you 100%
but the problem is that i expected more from this product, i still use it but only for remote start and stop. when GoPro is talking about Streaming, i wanted to use it in racecars and stream it out on the big screen on our events, (talk about high expectations :-) )
but when i bought it says in the spec, Perfect for Live streaming to Internet,

You might know if its possible to connect the GoPro Wifi backpack to a existing wifi ?
Is there a way to stream to Internet??
/P
#6 Old 10-21-2012, 04:08 AM

Thats right

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsports
Quote:
Well shadowsports
peterhnr,

I agree with you 100%
but the problem is that i expected more from this product, i still use it but only for remote start and stop. when GoPro is talking about Streaming, i wanted to use it in racecars and stream it out on the big screen on our events, (talk about high expectations :-) )

You might know if its possible to connect the GoPro Wifi backpack to a existing wifi ?
/P
#7 Old 10-21-2012, 05:46 AM

Explains the lag - what about the live preview

I understand what you say regards the lag in preview to the iPhone with the GoPro App. It's disappointing none the less and makes it less useful. I am also finding that when you activate a video record from the app the live preview no longer functions, which is even more of a dissappointment. I really did expect to be able to see what i am recording remotely - so as to know what I am recording and when to stop. Does anyone know if this is a permanent limitation or should GoPro be able to fix that?
#8 Old 10-21-2012, 12:44 PM

peterhnr wrote: I agree with

Quote:
I agree with you 100%

/P
Hi Peter,
Streaming to a live feed in a web browser might be possible. I though I saw someone here talking about it. I imaging this could be offered later as the app matures. Range will be a limiting factor for your desired application (race car) and I cannot speak to that. I am fairly confident however, that it will be less than the 600ft offered by the remote. This is just a hunch. Unfortunately connecting the Bac Pac as a client to a AP is also not possible. Go Pro does appear to have plans for this device as I see there is also a bluetooth feature which is present, but not currently functional in the new firmware. They are going to break some ground and I'm interested in seeing what they will offer. Here is the thread I mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgor57
I understand what you say regards the lag in preview to the iPhone with the GoPro App. It's disappointing none the less and makes it less useful. I am also finding that when you activate a video record from the app the live preview no longer functions, which is even more of a dissappointment. I really did expect to be able to see what i am recording remotely - so as to know what I am recording and when to stop. Does anyone know if this is a permanent limitation or should GoPro be able to fix that?
/P
burgor57,
The live preview does function with a 2sec lag during recording in the iPhone application. Based on what I've read from other users posts here, if the camera does not fully update or flash correctly, problems with preview and/or camera control can result. Your camera needs to have firmware v8.12.198, Bac Pac v3.4.0 and the remote remains at v2.1.7

Try putting the .198 .bin file back on your camera's SD card and perform a reflash. Use these instructions

Updating Hero HD firmware:
1.-Download the firmware .bin file from GoPro
2.-Copy it to the root of your SD card
3.-Insert the SD into your Hero HD
4.-Hold down the shutter button and power on the camera
5.-Continue to hold the shuttuer button down
6.-Press the power button 3 times
7.-Camera enters firmware update mode
8.-Continue to hold the shutter button while the camera updates
9.-Once complete, the camera will restart and display its current firmware version briefly
10.-The .bin file can now be safely removed from the SD card (formatting does this for you as well)
11.-Don't format if your card contains any pictures or video you do not wish to delete

Note: You'll need to reset Date and Time and recording modes, etc.... you can use the App to do this once the camera has been set to Phone Tablet mode.

Preview feature is working great for me. Good luck.

NAS
#2 D-Link 323 4TB
#9 Old 10-21-2012, 02:41 PM

Thanks but still not working

I tried the reflash procedure, but still not working. Still get no live opreview when recording. And when stoped the GoPro App stick on Starting Preview, but never does!
Why is it that GoPro updates always seem to involve so much head ache - it never seems to work smoothly - not me me anyway!! What a time waster this all is.
#10 Old 10-21-2012, 02:52 PM

Still not working

I tried the reflash process - twice in fact. But still no joy. When recording I still get the message preview not supported and when I stop recording, the App fails to restart the live preview again and the App has to be turned off!
Why is it that GoPro updates are always such a pain. WHat a big waste of time this has been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List