Using a 64GB or 128GB SD Card With The GoPro - GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 Old 02-02-2012, 10:33 AM

(Thread Starter)
Using a 64GB or 128GB SD Card With The GoPro

Hello All!

This is my first time posting here. I am getting ready to buy my first GoPro and will probably get the HD1 motorsport edition. The website says the GoPro only supports SD cards up to 32GB, but I'd really like to use a bigger card for increased recording time. Has anyone had any first hand experience trying to use an SD card larger than 32GB? If so, what was the outcome?

Thanks in advance!

steiney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-02-2012, 01:01 PM

It's best to stay within spec

It's best to stay within spec recommendations with GoPro cameras. A buddy of mine tried this with a 64gb card and gets corrupted files often
#3 Old 06-14-2013, 09:54 AM

I don't think that anything larger than 32GB is supported based on the GoPro support site. I have seen some users on YouTube post success with more than that, but I don't think I would trust it.
#4 Old 06-14-2013, 11:39 AM

Exclamation Corrupted files on hero 3 black

First post for me, guys.

In preparation for a storm chase trip last week, I purchased a Hero3 Black and a Sandisk micro 64G card. Used several other types of cameras, but the only footage I have not been able to retrieve is from my Hero3.

I get a message on my computer screen saying: 'The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.' Same thing if I take the micro disk out and try to upload via a card reader. Thinking the disk might have been bad from new, I put a second disk in which would upload test footage. However, it would only upload from the reader, not the camera, even though the back of the camera gives me a message saying 'USB connected, camera files accessible.'

Have I lost everything? Anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks..

Last edited by timcurl; 06-14-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Delete name
#5 Old 06-14-2013, 03:48 PM

To the OP, while a bigger card would give you more storage, something to think about is battery life. Unless you are running an outside power source i.e. USB, your battery will die long before you fill a 32 GB card.

On top of that, I don't think the larger memory cards are supported by the Go Pros.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List