Advice on hero 3 Black vs Hero 5 - GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 12-20-2016, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Advice on hero 3 Black vs Hero 5

Looking to possibly upgrade to a Hero 5. Currently have a Hero 3 Black edition with tons of accessories, cases, batteries etc that are specific for that. Is it worth it to make the jump to the Hero 5 or get the LCD screen and pretend it's a Hero 5 haha.

Thanks for the advice in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-20-2016, 10:11 PM
Valued Member

All depends upon what features you need (or crave.) If you have equipment lust or someone in your giving circle is bugging you to name an expensive present, you are probably asking this rhetorically.

But if you have a specific need for 4K, or voice activation, one button filming, or for some reason can't abide the waterproof case, then you're going to jump to the 5. Except for batteries and cases, all your mounts from the 3 should work with the 5 anyway.

I have the 3+ black and with an LCD (I use a Removu P1 with that), I haven't found enough in the 4 or 5 series to tempt me one bit. YMMV, of course!
post #3 of 12 Old 12-20-2016, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcharlow View Post
All depends upon what features you need (or crave.) If you have equipment lust or someone in your giving circle is bugging you to name an expensive present, you are probably asking this rhetorically.

But if you have a specific need for 4K, or voice activation, one button filming, or for some reason can't abide the waterproof case, then you're going to jump to the 5. Except for batteries and cases, all your mounts from the 3 should work with the 5 anyway.

I have the 3+ black and with an LCD (I use a Removu P1 with that), I haven't found enough in the 4 or 5 series to tempt me one bit. YMMV, of course!

This is how I feel. I don't know that it's worth the upgrade yet.
post #4 of 12 Old 12-21-2016, 03:05 AM
Valued Member

If you don't need 4K and you are happy with the 3- keep it.
The Hero5 is unfortunately not a perfect product with many little problems you not expect in this price region.

Ciao Rob
post #5 of 12 Old 12-21-2016, 06:00 AM
Administrator

there are ups and downs: which do not outweight one another. $400.00 with the only discounts found from the first day only were Free sdxc cards, and gift cards that brought the product to a $3.59.00 lowest price found?

Price is not hte issue here, its the Downs that will hold you off. Some love Voice command, and you must understand sensitive onboard mics , will only make things not work well, that is a double down side?

On the Upside: longer battery life they claim and waterproof.

One more downer Screen light bleed due to the brightness of the cameras setting, and front bleeding.

the list can go on but not going to be making this a downer for you, only you have to find out for yourself, ifit's worth the investment.

FISH

My job, I try my best notto look for the bad things in the camera, I just find the things that could use improvements, if asked.
Jatekman likes this.

Proud Sponsors of Cyberlink Power Director 12 Feiyu-tech. NewMawah,, Magix
Vsit my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
& Youtube channel Follow on Periscope

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

helpful in ways you never know. forgive my working hands I make mistakes...
post #6 of 12 Old 12-21-2016, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docster View Post
Is it worth it to make the jump to the Hero 5 or get the LCD screen and pretend it's a Hero 5 haha.
the LCD BacPac screen is rubbish, don't even think of wasting your money on it. As for going from a 3 to a 5, personally yes i would
post #7 of 12 Old 12-21-2016, 01:12 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
the LCD BacPac screen is rubbish, don't even think of wasting your money on it. As for going from a 3 to a 5, personally yes i would
I disagree. Depending upon your intended use for it, being able to more accurately frame is a real plus. I do agree that the touch sensitive feature is nice but nothing really necessary.

I paired mine with the Removu P1, which is totally waterproof and having this functionality is really super, plus when I want it on the camera itself, it does double duty. For the price, though, if not needed on the camera itself, the newer Removu R1+ works great.

I do not know if either of these work with his 3 model, but they certainly work with my 3+ model.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-21-2016, 01:20 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docster View Post
This is how I feel. I don't know that it's worth the upgrade yet.
After 40+ years with electronics for fun and profit, here's what I've concluded (and you'll find everyone in the actual business knows this):
1) What you buy today is already obsolete and will be superseded with maybe cheaper but always more flashy new models within 3 - 6 months.
2) First adopters have to love fiddling, because they are often buggy at first in software and often also have manufacturing quality issues.
3) Neat new features aren't always useful to YOU, though they may sound great or be useful to someone else.

So the bottom line for me is not to buy until there is a model that meets what I already KNOW to be very useful features for me, and that they are tested and work properly. In fact, if a previous model does that fine, then it may be best to buy one new off the shelf (be wary of used) and love it, instead of lusting for the latest and greatest.

This works, of course, if you don't need bragging rights. For some folks the thrill of the purchase, the sense that you have the "best", and the collecting impulse trump my kind of thrifty and practical considerations. This is a personal decision that nobody here or elsewhere can really make for you.

So there's Fishycomics doing reviews who has the latest and the older models, is a real Gopro fan, and if I read correctly finds his fave is actually the cheaper Yi competitors! There's a lesson in that for you.
Fish likes this.

Last edited by bcharlow; 12-21-2016 at 01:24 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-21-2016, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcharlow View Post
I disagree. Depending upon your intended use for it, being able to more accurately frame is a real plus. I do agree that the touch sensitive feature is nice but nothing really necessary.
it does have the benefit of lining up shots, but i've never had an issue lining up manually. My rule, if its pointing at it, its got it

the touch screen is so clunky & hard to press its a discomfort to use
post #10 of 12 Old 12-21-2016, 04:17 PM
Administrator

thanks @bcharlow

I always use the latest product I buy and what sucks is the older one's I have? Want a excellent old type camera, the Kodak ZI8, what is that? well they been around, wait here is one that has been around before GoPro, Aiptek, Yep been in this fad since the 90's

Yes I love the Yi4k Action camera, love the gopro's? I will not tell you to get this or that, it's your money. But remember once you buy an older model only @p fandango will have one for you to sell ya? I like to be up to date than discontinued and that gopro one day will reach its prime, peak highest level of the camera and stay with that one model, never!

let us know if you need more help in deciding?

FISH

Proud Sponsors of Cyberlink Power Director 12 Feiyu-tech. NewMawah,, Magix
Vsit my
& Youtube channel Follow on Periscope

helpful in ways you never know. forgive my working hands I make mistakes...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List