Hero 3 Silver; "Computer does not recognize USB device" - GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 28 Old 12-31-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hero 3 Silver; "Computer does not recognize USB device"

Iíve just purchased a new Hero 3 Silver. Iím an experienced Hero 2 user, and an experienced computer user. We use the Hero cameras for motorcycle training at our school, and have hundreds of hours of experience with the Hero 2.

Iíve updated the firmware via the website, and the Hero 3 camera itself works fine.

However, when plugged into a computer, the computer will not recognize the camera. It will charge (both with camera on and camera off) but will not show up as a drive.

I have tried different cables, with no different result. I have tried connecting the camera to the computer both on and off; no different result. When turning the camera on and off while plugged into the computer, I will occasionally get a ďNO SDĒ message on the camera. If this happens, the message will only go away once I turn the camera on and off again. I have tested the SD card in other devices, and it performs fine. It works great in the camera as long as I donít try and connect to the computer.

I have reformatted the card, both in the computer and in the camera. I have reformatted the card in FAT32 and in exFAT, with no effect.
Iím running Windows 7, 64bit, 4g ram on an HP laptop. I am using a Sandisk Ultra 16g micro card, class 10 speed.

My older Hero 2 cameras connect just fine to this computer.

Any help would be most welcome Ė if I canít fix it, I suppose returning it to the store is my only option. Thx in advance for any help. Cheers.

Desmond Rodenbour
[url]www.2coolforschool.ca[/url]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-07-2013, 06:18 PM

Hello I have very recently

Hello I have very recently purchased a Hero3 White and I am experiencing the exact same problems as you are. I have tried updating the firmware manually and automatically however the 4-step Hero3 update system on GoPro's website keeps looping me back to step 1 after I complete step 2 which is entering the serial and clicking 'continue' (I have tried this in FireFox and Explorer). As above, my computer charges the Hero3 but does not recognize the device (on or off and with or without microSD card).

Furthermore... If I format my Lexar 16GB Type 10 microSD card with my computer, afterwards my Hero3 will give me an SD Error message. If I format the card through the Hero3 then it will accept it however the camera begins to have unpredictable freezing issues where I must physically remove the battery in order to power off the Hero3. Other times I have successfully recorded videos and taken pictures with the Hero3 however I cannot see nor access these files through my computer. Also I have tried inserting the microSD card into its USB card reader/adapter and still my computer does not see any GoPro Hero3 files. I am capable of transferring files to and from the microSD card using my computer but the GoPro files are no where to be seen; if I click on drive properties I can see the memory taken up by the videos I recorded today. When I insert the microSD card into my cell phone, it will see all the folders and files including my Hero3 movies and pictures. I can view the pictures on my phone but the videos I cannot.

There seems to be a problem of communication between the Hero3 and my computer.
post #3 of 28 Old 03-11-2013, 06:52 AM

I resolved this issue by

I resolved this issue by downloading and installing the free Cineform Studio application. This installs the USB driver for your GoPro aswell.

post #4 of 28 Old 05-19-2013, 12:19 PM

I am experiencing exact same issues. I found if I unplug it for a while and let it cool down it will connect again. This is a lame problem though. I am also thinking of returning it. I also had an issue where it just shut down in the middle of recording and I couldn't get it back on again until I let it charge overnight. The battery was only half spent when it shut down. I was getting a weird picture of a plus sign and I think an SD card.
post #5 of 28 Old 06-18-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisofsweden View Post
I resolved this issue by downloading and installing the free Cineform Studio application. This installs the USB driver for your GoPro aswell.
This didn't work for me. Downloaded and installed Cineform Studio and it didn't load any drivers.
post #6 of 28 Old 06-25-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw5465 View Post
I am experiencing exact same issues. I found if I unplug it for a while and let it cool down it will connect again. This is a lame problem though. I am also thinking of returning it. I also had an issue where it just shut down in the middle of recording and I couldn't get it back on again until I let it charge overnight. The battery was only half spent when it shut down. I was getting a weird picture of a plus sign and I think an SD card.
I'm glad this approach worked for you, but it didn't do anything for me except add a bunch of software on my computer that I'll probably never use. Where can I get the usb driver for the Hero3 Silver?

Last edited by FreeGeezer; 06-25-2013 at 10:27 PM.
post #7 of 28 Old 06-25-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeGeezer View Post
I'm glad this approach worked for you, but it didn't do anything for me except add a bunch of software on my computer that I'll probably never use. Where can I get the usb driver for the Hero3 Silver?
It's really a Hero3 Silver. I have no idea why I wrote White.
post #8 of 28 Old 07-02-2013, 02:59 AM

Did you find a resolution? I have a hero3 white. Similar issue I think.

Do you get a series of beeps when you turn it on while plugged into the USB?

Do you get a red charging light?
post #9 of 28 Old 07-02-2013, 04:42 AM

Why not just use a microSD card reader to retrieve files. I think my black had similar "issues", though using a card reader it's all smiles so simply wouldn't get held up on this. I wouldn't call it a problem, perhaps a nuance. I also have a hero2, and don't think I've ever bothered to pull the video through the camera.
post #10 of 28 Old 07-16-2013, 07:21 AM

Did you fix this problem? Experiencing the exact same thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List