Hero 3 Silver; "Computer does not recognize USB device" - Page 3 - GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 28 Old 02-09-2015, 09:23 PM

[quote=mjb222;52410]I had the same problem, and I think I solved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highspeedphoto View Post
Being a long time user, I still don't understand why some people just don't take the card out of the camera and put it into the memory card slot on their computer. My cameras go back to the Hero1 and since then I have always taken the card out of the camera and did the download that way so I wouldn't have this issue. I know they say in the owners manual that you can leave the card in and transfer the files through the usb cord but I opt to take mine out.
1. My computer doesn't have a card slot. I would have to go buy something additional to do what the GoPro is supposed to do anyway.

2. Also, how does one update the firmware if the Computer doesn't even recognize that the GoPro is attached?

I'm not stupid. I have lots of original GoPro experience and computer experience. If there's something that the GoPro is supposed to do, why doesn't it do it. Why should it require me to go buy an SD card reader when the instructions plainly tell how to open the files via the USB connection? I came here to find a fix for the problem, not a work-around.

And finally, one other symptom is that sometimes the GoPro won't do anything when I try to turn it ON. No beeps, no flashing lights, no nothing. Acts like it would with no battery or dead battery. When it does decide to turn on, the battery level indicator says that it's fully charged. (at least that's what I think it's telling me).

Ken

Last edited by DFWKen; 02-09-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 02-10-2015, 12:06 AM

That's interesting because most laptop's or desktop's within the last few years have had some kind of card slot on them to place the card into. I had a laptop that had a pcmcia slot on it and I could put my Compact Flash into. Another solution would be a multi card reader that plugs into the usb port. I have an Iomega that works with both the sd and micro sd cards but my Asus laptop has a card reader so I use that.
post #23 of 28 Old 02-10-2015, 12:31 AM

By the way, my original GoPro Hero still works fine. I just pulled it out of the closet, charged the battery for a couple of hours, turned it on, and plugged the USB into the side.

VOILA! Computer recognized it immediately.

Did it several times and the computer recognizes it every time.

The "3"? No such luck. In fact, it's quit doing anything at all now. Red light won't come on when plugged into the USB port or charger, computer doesn't recognize it, Power button does absolutely nothing. It seems to have bricked itself.

That's too bad. Even though I bought it a year ago, this weekend was the first time I've used it.

Ken

post #24 of 28 Old 02-10-2015, 05:52 PM

It's now a brick . . . a tiny brick.

The USB connection may have been a harbinger of an impending total failure. Now, the red light doesn't even come on when plugged in to the computer USB or a charger. The power button doesn't power it up. It's completely dead.

I called GoPro Tech Support. Was on line with Barbara within 2 or 3 minutes. She was very helpful and confirmed that my GoPro 3 is indeed dead. I don't think it's coming back from the dead, either. The serial indicates that it's over a year old, even though this past Sunday was the first time I'd ever used it.

She offered a remedy: 20% off retail for a replacement (which is quite generous, I believe). I don't know if they offer repair service or not, I forgot to ask. Does anyone know?

Such is life.

Ken
post #25 of 28 Old 03-01-2015, 06:39 AM

I have the same problem.
post #26 of 28 Old 03-07-2016, 07:07 PM

Another solution

I know this thread is absolutely ancient, but the solution I found was plugging it into a USB 3.0 port. Maybe it was because it was a different port all I know is that it worked.
post #27 of 28 Old 08-27-2016, 04:01 PM

Fixed

For me it fixed by turning the camera on BEFORE plugging in the USB. Presto.
post #28 of 28 Old 01-04-2017, 08:37 AM

Nuance? A matter of perspective I guess. I have a Hero 4 silver and it has had what I would most definitely call a problem on 3+ desktops and two laptops I have tried it with, and very rarely it actually works as described or intended to but yes...........purchasing a card reader and carrying it with you as part of your kit (if you want to be able to view and edit anywhere on the go) is thankfully a solution.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List