GoPro Hero 3 stops recording and immediately starts recording again. - GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 Old 12-16-2012, 08:33 PM

(Thread Starter)
GoPro Hero 3 stops recording and immediately starts recording again.

Hello,

I am having a problem with my Black Edition GoPro Hero3. I am using a 32gb class 10 SanDisk Micro SD card. On December 14th, I updated the camera firmware/software.

When I am recording, it stops at between 11 and 12 minutes and immediately begins recording again. Each recording is just shy of 4gb. This leaves multiple recordings on the SD card even though I pressed the record button one time.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

I have read on other forums that other people are having the same issue with multiple different brands of SD cards. This leads me to believe that it's an issue with the camera itself.

Thanks!

Roby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-19-2012, 06:47 AM

Even mine does that...

My Hero3 Black does that as well as my Hero1 also. I did a trip from Pennsylvania to Kentucky and filmed the whole trip (had to switch the memory cards due to only figuring so many hours the 32gig would record) and this was using the Hero1 in the skeleton housing with a usb power adapter in the lighter. I see you said that the camera would stop recording, technically it doesn't stop and restart but keeps on going and makes a new file in the camera. A good video editing program will butt the clips together and make them look as one.
#3 Old 12-19-2012, 07:14 AM

Big BoyI beleive that this

Big Boy

I beleive that this may have something to do with the max size of the video file that a Hero can record in one hit. I read somewhere that once it reaches this size (it maybe the 4 GB you refer to) then the camera stops recording. I do recall that where I read this also said that if you wanted to continue recording then you had to hit the start button again but maybe the new firmware takes care of this.

Cheers Kym
#4 Old 05-17-2013, 02:53 PM

Hello

I just purchased a GoPro 3 black, uploaded all the updates and mine does exactly the same.

I take it on a bike ride and after 17 mins it stops and then automatically restarts again so i end up with 2 movie files, kind of annoying.
#5 Old 05-18-2013, 10:05 PM

Yep. Mine is doing it too on long rides and it is very frustrating. Couple that with the incorrect time stamps and the editing gets very confusing.
#6 Old 05-23-2013, 06:24 PM

Old post I know, but it sounds like a format issue on the card....what file format is it in? If its FAT32 that would explain why it won't do file bigger than 4gig...
#7 Old 05-24-2013, 02:20 AM

Spot on Numptee, the cards are formatted in FAT32, or exFAT for a 64GB card. Max file size is 4GB for this system. Not a fault of the camera.
#8 Old 06-22-2013, 11:50 PM

4Gb Video File Limitation

My Hero 3 didn't do that until I updated the firmware in Feb, 2013. Sure FAT32 is the explanation but come on... it's 2013 not the 20th century. Go Pro has to switch to a file system that doesn't have the 4gb file size limitation. How 'bout NTFS??? I have spent more time than the time of the actual recording converting the multiple files that are created during one recording and then piecing them together to create one longer video file. Come on Go Pro... this is really annoying. Fix it!
#9 Old 06-23-2013, 05:40 AM

I have the exact same problem. Updated correctly and the last video i did made two separate files. One was just under 9 mins and the other just shy of 4 mins which is when I pressed stop.
I've also had issues with the camera switching off and then coming up with a corrupted file icon for no reason at all. I've forgotten how many times I've re-formatted the sd card now. I use a Sandisk 16Gb class 10 card. It works ok for a while then starts to play up. Seems to play up when I really want it to work to which is really annoying.
I contacted gopro support and was told it was probably the fault of the card not the camera. Not great seeing as though it seems to be a common fault the multiple file recording.
Is there a setting that I can use to ensure it won't make multiple files? I have friends that use a Hero 1 and they can record with no problems for around 20 mins at a time. My Hero 3 is supposed to be better but it's not seeming so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List