gopro hero3 glitchy video output - GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 Old 12-23-2012, 02:50 AM

(Thread Starter)
gopro hero3 glitchy video output

I just bought a gopro hero3 black ed. As the accompanying card suggest. I quickly followed the steps to upgrade the firmware. When I recorded a sample video. All I got is a video playback that keeps on stuttering. I tried reformatting bit to no avail. I tried updating again following the instruction to copy the update in the sd card. By the i also encountered a wireless update failed with both led lights blinking. Anybody with the same issue. I used VLC and win mediaplayer on win7 64bit for playback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-25-2012, 03:04 PM

Are you plugging the camera

Are you plugging the camera into the computer to view the videos? What kind of SD card do you have (brand/size/speed)?
#3 Old 12-26-2012, 03:17 AM

(Thread Starter)
At first yes. Then i tried

At first yes. Then i tried using an adapter with the same result. I have samsung class 10 16gb sd card.
#4 Old 12-26-2012, 06:09 PM

same problem here.. have yet

same problem here.. have yet to do update, as i cant get the website to work..

but filed a test video, and tried to play it back on my computer, and its all jittery.. my original gopro never did that.. filmed on 1080p with a 64 mb, class 10 card
#5 Old 12-26-2012, 06:23 PM

Copy the files directly to

Copy the files directly to the computer. USB usually isn't fast enough to transfer the video during playback.
#6 Old 12-26-2012, 07:21 PM

i tried that too.. still

i tried that too.. still studery
#7 Old 12-26-2012, 07:36 PM

Specs on your computer?

Specs on your computer?
#8 Old 12-26-2012, 07:57 PM

Jittery Hero3 video.

I bought my son a Hero3 Black for Christmas & we had the same issue with the jittery video.

The way we found to fix (or is it to get around it) was to drop the Frames Per Second to around 24/25 FPS when recording at 1080p.

Also not playing back from the micro SD card but copying file from the card to the pc and using the suggested software on the GoPro site VLC media player helped to.

Obviously lots of playing around with the settings or reading of recommendations on the forums for various settings for different tasks & environments to come!

Once you get over the frustration, it is such a cool little device!
#9 Old 12-26-2012, 08:04 PM

Having the same

Having the same jumping/freezing issues here when trying to view with QuickTime and/or VLC.

Hero3 Black - Sanddisk Ultra class 10 32GB - recording in factory preset HD
Computer - MacBook, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 250GB HD, 2.53 GHZ Intel Core i5

Never experienced the issue with a Hero and Hero 2. I suspect we'll have to lower the record quality to something closer to that of the Hero 2...bummer. So far my quick fix has been to use Handbrake to convert my recordings down to the AppleTV settings. That fixed it.

The other option that work was to Export with QuickTime down to the iPad quality level.

Hopefully someone will share the most optimal solution...the maximum setting to record in on the Hero 3 Black that won't jump and skip on playback.
#10 Old 12-27-2012, 10:20 AM

Same here too

Having the same problem fo the frames freezing (as though buffering) as everyone else with my black edition, i'm using a MAC to view the video and i'm downloading to the PC before viewing the video.

I followed the suggestion to slow it down to 1080 24 FPS but i still get the frames freezing although not as bad as on 1440 48fps.

I'll trying converting the files as suggested but its not the answer really more a quick fix , if anyone has any suggestions i'd love to hear them, surely not every black edition is having the same problem ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List