GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support

GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support (http://www.goproforums.com/index.php)
-   GoPro HD Hero 3 (http://www.goproforums.com/15-gopro-hd-hero-3/)
-   -   gopro hero3 glitchy video output (http://www.goproforums.com/15-gopro-hd-hero-3/1035-gopro-hero3-glitchy-video-output.html)

DeanWesterburg 12-28-2012 06:07 PM

Why buy a camera with res over 720p?

Quote:

Originally Posted by turismo1997
The way I see it, you really need to install cinemaform to convert the raw footage to a viewable format. I'm using alienware m11x laptop. I have a muvi atom and although I can't compare the video quality, I can readily view the video in my Pc without post production.

I haven't tried connecting the camera to hdtv to test the playback via hdmi.

I tested 720 @ 60 and the converted video has no hiccups. Looks like we are forced to buy a LDC bacpac for on demand viewing. :D

Great. So why buy a 1440 or even 1080 camera if you have to down convert to 720? Seems to me that buying a cheaper camera that does 720p and save the time wasted converting makes a lot more sense..

Paddy90a 12-28-2012 06:21 PM

I just hooked mine up using

I just hooked mine up using HDMI and it plays good through the telly.

BlueBomberTurbo 12-28-2012 07:17 PM

DeanWesterburg

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanWesterburg
Quote:

Originally Posted by turismo1997
The way I see it, you really need to install cinemaform to convert the raw footage to a viewable format. I'm using alienware m11x laptop. I have a muvi atom and although I can't compare the video quality, I can readily view the video in my Pc without post production.

I haven't tried connecting the camera to hdtv to test the playback via hdmi.

I tested 720 @ 60 and the converted video has no hiccups. Looks like we are forced to buy a LDC bacpac for on demand viewing. :D

Great. So why buy a 1440 or even 1080 camera if you have to down convert to 720? Seems to me that buying a cheaper camera that does 720p and save the time wasted converting makes a lot more sense..

While other companies continually come out with different variations of the same junk year after year, GoPro's actually trying to advance video camera industry. The next cheapest camera out there that goes beyond 1080p is the Black Magic Cinema camera at $3,000. It comes with the camera body.... and not much else. So you need to buy a lens ($500-$30K), audio recorder ($500), support to hold the camera ($500), etc. Just to be able to use the camera at all. And it's only 2.5K, maxing out at 30fps at all resolutions, and with similar battery life.

Now look at the GoPro 3 Black. 4K good enough for fast motion or timelapses. 2.7K good enough for any situation. High speed 1080p and 720p. And insanely high speed 480p. Not to mention the level of quality in 1080p and 2.7K is close to a hacked Panasonic GH2, which is kinda the holy grail as far as DSLR/MFT camera quality is concerned (unsurpassed sharpness; can be hacked to obscene quality levels). Then, of course, you get a fast lens ($$$$ in camera world) with technically 3 focal lengths, in-camera audio recording plus mic input, optional LCD and HDMI out, wireless remote options, waterproof casing (more big $$$$ in camera world), FREE editing software, and 1/20 the size and weight of the nearest competitively spec'd camera. And no, the Sony Action Cam and Muvi are only GoPro 2 territory. You're getting pretty much the highest quality consumer video camera there is (pretty much everyone's jaws dropped when the specs were released, and then again with the promo vid), so it's expected that you'd need at least something adequately equipped to handle the files it creates.

Then there's talk of HEVC/H.265 being adopted next year. It'll be needed for post-1080p res filesizes. It's H.264 all over again, with lots of people's computers not being able to handle it because of low power hardware. That includes standard web video on YouTube. The GP3 Black is pretty much a messenger of things to come, so don't blame GoPro. That's like buying a Porsche, putting all season tires on, running 89 octane, and complaining when your car chokes and can't get any traction. They called their product GoPro. Looks like they've arrived at their specified destination.

centrek 02-02-2013 08:40 PM

Worthless camera. Video is

Worthless camera. Video is crap.
*Correction: Record your video of your trip in 1280x720 @ 60fps and you will be fine. Forget about anything higher quality, the camera can't keep up with itself.

BlueBomberTurbo 02-03-2013 08:49 AM

centrek wrote:Worthless

Quote:

Originally Posted by centrek
Worthless camera. Video is crap.
*Correction: Record your video of your trip in 1280x720 @ 60fps and you will be fine. Forget about anything higher quality, the camera can't keep up with itself.

Get a micro HDMI cable and plug it into your TV. You'll see the true quality of the video The GoPro obviously can keep up with it, since it takes much more power to encode than play back. It's the computers they're being played on that can't. Technology continues to advance. Remember, no other consumer camera record over about 15mbps, and this one records at 45mbps. If you can upgrade cameras, you can surely upgrade a cmputer's video card.

rexbirk 02-13-2013 08:40 PM

A player that works on the pc

Download VLC Media Player (free)

I was having playback issues, the sound was ahead of the video. This player works at 1080/60 for me when windows media player and realplayer did not.

stevae 02-16-2013 08:16 PM

first, i checked my laptop,

first, i checked my laptop, but it is a gaming laptop, so all specs were fine.
then, i checked if the vid's could play in cineform, and they could, which also ruled out the laptop being the problem.
then i researched vlc to see why it would be having any problems with these vids, and there i found the solution.
here is the fix:
Open the preferences
Tick advanced in the lower right corner
Go to "Input/Codec"
Go to "other codecs" subcategory if you have older 1.0 something. but if you have the 1.1.11 version, go to "video codecs".
Go to "FFmpeg"
Change the setting for the "skip-filter for H264" to ALL
Restart VLC
this worked perfectly for me, and all is right with the world again. hope this helps everybody.

stevae

dberd 04-12-2013 02:06 PM

it's usually the computer that's not powerful enough to handle the rate that the gopro produces. You'll need to either update your hardware or lower your fps. Also, when you edit your video, then render it, usually your computer can play it then (won't be choppy). bluebomber is on it, and stevae has a good work around with the editor.

Buk 04-12-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBomberTurbo (Post 4623)
Get a micro HDMI cable and plug it into your TV. You'll see the true quality of the video The GoPro obviously can keep up with it, since it takes much more power to encode than play back. It's the computers they're being played on that can't. Technology continues to advance. Remember, no other consumer camera record over about 15mbps, and this one records at 45mbps. If you can upgrade cameras, you can surely upgrade a cmputer's video card.

Absolutely agree. I can play back 4k and it looks amazing on TV straight from the camera.

I have a fairly good MacBook Pro, that plays back everything using QuickTime Pro. Except 4k too large for screen.

Camera never plugged into laptop. Always use a reader, copy to 800 FireWire drive for storage.

qweqaz 05-15-2013 06:33 PM

There could always be some memoryleak in your system that creates problems for you, check the slots so there is no problem with those.
Else i would suggest updating most if not all your drivers.

/ qweqaz

If all else fails
http://ipadvideo.prodinfo.se