3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fish
  • 1 Post By Fish
  • 1 Post By Telstar2112

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 01-07-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Video and stills -3 simple questions.

I have searched around and read a lot but still have these three questions.

1: If I take video and stills simultaneously are the stills taken at the resolution set up under single photo settings or are they the same resolution as the video? I have read many conflicting answers. It would seem as if it were the same resolution you could just do a frame grab and not bother with it at all.

2: Can I manually take a still photo while shooting video as opposed to having it snap away at a timed interval? In some reviews this was listed but I cannot find a setting for it.

3: Is there any difference between taking a wide still at 12MP, and cropping the sides off later, compared to taking a medium still at 7MP? Seems as if all the camera is doing is throwing away the sides, it does not actually move the lens or do anything optically or give you any better focus or resolution.

Thanks,
Steve.
(Hero 4 Silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-07-2017, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar2112 View Post
I have searched around and read a lot but still have these three questions.

1: If I take video and stills simultaneously are the stills taken at the resolution set up under single photo settings or are they the same resolution as the video? I have read many conflicting answers. It would seem as if it were the same resolution you could just do a frame grab and not bother with it at all.

Vid + photo mode in 1920X1080 resolution will be same for the photo,

2: Can I manually take a still photo while shooting video as opposed to having it snap away at a timed interval? In some reviews this was listed but I cannot find a setting for it.

Protip, when videoo recording , press mode it will capture a phot.

3: Is there any difference between taking a wide still at 12MP, and cropping the sides off later, compared to taking a medium still at 7MP? Seems as if all the camera is doing is throwing away the sides, it does not actually move the lens or do anything optically or give you any better focus or resolution.

12MP vs 7Mp can be all the Sensor and software of the camera

Thanks,
Steve.
(Hero 4 Silver)

Answered in red and most your questions are answered by viewing the PDF manual
p fandango likes this.

Proud Sponsors of Cyberlink Power Director 12 Feiyu-tech. NewMawah,, Magix
Vsit my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
& Youtube channel Follow on Periscope

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

helpful in ways you never know. forgive my working hands I make mistakes...
post #3 of 10 Old 01-07-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, You are right I went back into the manual and found some of that. Just seems like I have ready so many reviews saying you can capture high res photos while shooting video. Is it correct that shooting video at 1920x1080 will then give you just a 2MP photo? (I am guessing you just multiply these together) If so I would not call that a high res still. So to get a high res still, I need to stop shooting video and switch modes to photo mode. Correct? Otherwise I may as well just use a frame grab?

I am planning to use this diving, so switching modes could be a little more cumbersome, and with limited light I'll have to consider my FPS, so just want to make sure I know what I am doing.

Thanks.

Steve.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

You are right, not debating or anything like that, best to do is to just shoot at the res you are comfortable at, 2K7 grab a frame shot, even if you have to get it off capture, or your desktop. that you are correct. 1 it wil lnot be BLURRY when you pann and that shot is snapping.

Vsit my

post #5 of 10 Old 01-10-2017, 05:55 PM

Kind of on that topic, Newbie GoPro owner here, 3+ Silver.
If i use the GoPro software and pull a still from a video clip, it will not be as crisp as taking a still photo... is that correct. My assumption is a still pic would be clearer than getting a still shot from a video clip. My problem is my drone does not give me full control of my GoPro to take pix so i have to start the video before i launch it. Thanks for any help in advance.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-10-2017, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

You choose . looks good to me if asked 1920x1080 120DPI per editor I taken from

tthomasjr likes this.

Vsit my

post #7 of 10 Old 01-11-2017, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomasjr View Post
Kind of on that topic, Newbie GoPro owner here, 3+ Silver.
If i use the GoPro software and pull a still from a video clip, it will not be as crisp as taking a still photo... is that correct. My assumption is a still pic would be clearer than getting a still shot from a video clip. My problem is my drone does not give me full control of my GoPro to take pix so i have to start the video before i launch it. Thanks for any help in advance.
with the 3+ silver having a maximum resolution of 1080, you are very limited. Pulling an image from video of that quality will only give a picture just over 2megapixel
post #8 of 10 Old 01-11-2017, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Use the capture app on the highest quality and post up.

Vsit my

post #9 of 10 Old 01-15-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Not sure the answer is correct

I don't think the answer to my first question is correct. I finally have my Hero 4 in hand and tested it.

Shooting 1080p video in video + photo mode yielded photos that were 5.1MP each.

Shooting 1080p video (in video only mode) and using Mode button to snap a still at the same time the stills were 8.3 MP (which is not even a setting).

Steve.
Fish likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-15-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I did find out that the Video+Photo mode, or the option to snap a still using the Mode button during normal Video mode, only work with 30FPS or slower (at least at 1080). If I go to 60 fps at 1080, you cannot capture stills during video. (on 4 silver)

And I confirmed that not only are the stills at a higher resolution than a frame grab, 5+MP, they are also at there own shutter speed, not locked into the 1/30 sec of the video. During some video I just took the image from a frame grab was 2.1MP and the Image snapped using mode button during this video was 5.1MP and importantly had a shutter speed of 1/571 sec. (I had a good light). This shutter speed is critical in getting a sharp image.

In zooming in on the frame grab and the still, the still is much better.

Steve.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List