GoPro Hero 4 Black charging with higher Amps - GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 01-27-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
GoPro Hero 4 Black charging with higher Amps

Hi guys,

will I damage my camera somehow if I use for charging Samsung Galaxy S4 wall charger (5V/2A) ? I mean directly charging battery through the camera. Could this damage any electronics inside (sensor, etc.) ?
Has anybody got experience with charging with any other device such as power bank which has more output amps then recommended by GoPro ?

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-27-2016, 11:22 AM
Administrator

JohnRambo, Welcome to the forum. With that name we will be sure to give the best advice we can...lol

That charger is a little above the minimum charging required. Read this Gopro Article on Charging gopro batteries.

I choose to use a Wasabi Charger that has LED indicators on board so I can tell with the battery is topped off and ready for use. You can usually find such chargers accompanied by two extra batteries on Amazon or Ebay for under $20.

Cheers,
Charlie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dr. Z; 01-27-2016 at 07:05 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-27-2016, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Answer is NO the rated charge is at 1AMP, I used 2.1 amps and still using my camera and battery to date

Proud Sponsors of Cyberlink Power Director 12 Feiyu-tech. NewMawah,, Magix
Vsit my
& Youtube channel Follow on Periscope

helpful in ways you never know. forgive my working hands I make mistakes...

post #4 of 11 Old 01-28-2016, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Nevermind my nick name, it really doesnt matter. I have read that article. You talking about external charger, I am talking about damaging camera itself when using higher amperage. But thanks for your answer. I appreciate that.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-28-2016, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So you used higher amperage on camera itself and no damage done to camera ? I am asking this stupid question because I've got email from support that says :

The camera will try to only draw 1 Amp but the charger will push the 2 Amps and will ruin the power supply and short out the battery.
If you connect the camera to a 5V/2A wall charger, the camera's power supply that tries to reduce the input of the charger will overload and cause damage to the camera by either shorting the battery and or even the internal components of the camera.

I was reading several articles about USB charging and all of them say that there is no push from chargers side. That's why I am looking for someone who was charging on higher amperage through the camera and got experiecne with that.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Answer is NO the rated charge is at 1AMP, I used 2.1 amps and still using my camera and battery to date
post #6 of 11 Old 01-28-2016, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

@JohnRambo,

A 1A device means that, for a power supply at a certain voltage (5V for USB), the device will "ask" for 1A from the power supply.
For a 2A charger, it means the charger can supply up to 2A. However, the charger will only supply as much current as the device it's powering is asking for.
So, plugging a 1A device into a 2A charger will be fine. The device will only ask for 1A, and the charger will supply 1A.
Problem arise if you connect a 1A device in a 0.5A charger as the charger can only handle 0.5A and not 1A.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
KreamCheaz

Free Download
- Connect your GoPro to your MAC using the GoPro WiFi and download all your media.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-28-2016, 06:16 AM
Administrator

@JohnRambo

damage occurs when you overload..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRambo View Post
So you used higher amperage on camera itself and no damage done to camera ? I am asking this stupid question because I've got email from support that says :

The camera will try to only draw 1 Amp but the charger will push the 2 Amps and will ruin the power supply and short out the battery.
If you connect the camera to a 5V/2A wall charger, the camera's power supply that tries to reduce the input of the charger will overload and cause damage to the camera by either shorting the battery and or even the internal components of the camera.

I was reading several articles about USB charging and all of them say that there is no push from chargers side. That's why I am looking for someone who was charging on higher amperage through the camera and got experiecne with that.

Thanks

Proud Sponsors of Cyberlink Power Director 12 Feiyu-tech. NewMawah,, Magix
Vsit my
& Youtube channel Follow on Periscope

helpful in ways you never know. forgive my working hands I make mistakes...
post #8 of 11 Old 01-28-2016, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

a battery will only charge at its maximum, having a higher capacity charger won't cause any damage. Having a higher voltage charger will
post #9 of 11 Old 01-28-2016, 07:02 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to ADulay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem Danish View Post

A 1A device means that, for a power supply at a certain voltage (5V for USB), the device will "ask" for 1A from the power supply.
For a 2A charger, it means the charger can supply up to 2A. However, the charger will only supply as much current as the device it's powering is asking for.
So, plugging a 1A device into a 2A charger will be fine. The device will only ask for 1A, and the charger will supply 1A.
Problem arise if you connect a 1A device in a 0.5A charger as the charger can only handle 0.5A and not 1A.

I hope this helps.
Well it helped me for sure as I was just about to ask the question that you just supplied the answer to!

Thanks.

AD
post #10 of 11 Old 01-28-2016, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
Well it helped me for sure as I was just about to ask the question that you just supplied the answer to!

Thanks.

AD
As p fandango stated though and i missed in my post, you need to ensure that the Voltage is the same so if it is rated for 5V only use a 5V charger.

Cheers,
KreamCheaz

Free Download
- Connect your GoPro to your MAC using the GoPro WiFi and download all your media.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GoPro Forum, Classifieds and Support forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List